Which used multimeter? Wavetek, Fluke, or Ideal?

Noticed that old Fluke meters are selling for $50-$80 whereas comparable Wavetek meters, same features, sell for $10-$30. Any suggestions on whether the extra cost of a used Fluke is worth it, over Wavetek? Also, is the Ideal multimeter really a Wavektek? (Buttons are in the same position, same functions.) But, why cheaper?

Reply to
dennis702717

My guess is that the condition of the meter and its functions are more important to you than the brand. However, Fluke has a better reputation than the other 2 manufacturers, and this probably has the most to do with the difference in price.

Norm

Reply to
<normanstrong

Another thing to consider about Fluke DVMs: if the quality and precision and stability of their present hand-helds is similar to their bench models made in the 90's, then they EARN that price difference. At Ford Aerospace calibration lab, we received 10-20 of their bench DVMs; they all tested similar - almost ten times more accurate than their specs. And 6 months later, they had not changed; we altered their cal schedule to 1 year, but theoretically could have made that 3 years if regulations had allowed that.

Reply to
Robert Baer

We were using DMMs in an environment where we we creating 15kV pulses with fast edges. The uPs in all the other DMMs freaked out. Only the OLD Fluke kept reading consistantly.

Reply to
JeffM