phase/frequency detector

In a specific application I should compare the phase/frequency of two signals and make a voltage proportional to their phase/frequency difference. I want to connect this signal to the input of a VCSO. I=92ve XORed these signals and then connected them to the inputs of an Op-Amp but I=92m looking for a better way.

Reply to
jghasemi

http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/an_pk/1130

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Do you mean VCXO?

Better how?

What are you really trying to do?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

.

Thanks Tim, I=92m trying to transmit STM64 over OTN using AMCC OTN wrapper. The AMCC S19203 divides input and output stream frequency and gives them to feed an external PLL. I should compare the phase of these signals and make the output stream reference clock. The output frequency of dividers is 50MHz. I=92ve opted VS751 to make the desired reference clock. The VS751 give an input voltage (proportional to the phase difference) to control the output frequency. Now I want to know how to make a voltage proportional to the phase difference.

Reply to
jghasemi

Do some web searches on PLL techniques. Or get a book -- I like this one:

but that's just because I took the class from Dr. Wolaver. Just about any good PLL book will get you there.

The phase-frequency detector that John Fields suggested is probably a good place to start.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott