Phase detector for huge jitter ??

How to build a phase detector?? I know that normal design is two flip-fops and NAND gate but it works only with phase difference between signals smaler than 1 (T). How could I possibly build a phase detector when phase difference between signals is up to 10-20 (T)?? It could be hole digital or digital/analog solution. Anybody know any suitable links?? Greetings

5hinka
Reply to
5hinka

Are you saying you have jitter that is up to 10-20*T?

How could you ever define that as "phase-locked"?

...Jim Thompson

(a) divide both signals by N and use a 3-state phase detector. (b) make an extended state phase detector.

Both of these methods are detailed in "Phase-Locked Loop Circuit Design" by Dan Wolaver, Prentice-Hall 1991.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

U¿ytkownik "Jim Thompson" napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

only

up

IEEE is saying that jitter in 2Mbit signal (HDB3) can have jitter up to at least 5 T is jitter 10-20*T isnt very big. Greetings

Reply to
5hinka

I think you should be surfing for "Clock Extraction".

...Jim Thompson

FM transmitters that use phase-locked signal generation can have phase-locked loops with this much phase difference.

NRZ digital signals that have gone through a number of repeaters can have short-term jitter that is this severe.

You define it as "phase-locked" if the average phase and frequency of the locked and input signals match, and if your phase detector never actually looses track.

See the reference in my other thread. I took the class from the author, he really knows what he's talking about.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Classic phase detectors fail on NRZ, but there are a variety of methods to extract a clock from such messes.

...Jim Thompson

-- snip --

Minor detail. Actually if you have data that "jitters" by 10-20T then you probably need to have a fast clock extraction loop that gives you a nice clean digital clock followed by a clock regeneration loop that can stand the huge phase difference, because all the edge detection schemes are digital, and all the clock extraction schemes have some very analog properties.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Im building jitter measurer for 2MBit signal.

-------------- | estimating | | clock | -------------- | | ---------- | | -------------

-IN--|Extract. |------ ---------| Phase | |clock |----------------------------| detector | ---------- ------------

Estimating clock will be in different time periods. I have already Extracted clock from 2MBit HDB3 signal. I think that i will estimate clock on PLL changing FPD filter for different time periods.

The hole problem now is to build Phase detector for such big jitter.

Reply to
5hinka

"5hinka" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:c66n5p$gsl$ snipped-for-privacy@atlantis.news.tpi.pl...

different

Simple. Use a 4 bit counter for incomming clock and local VCO. So the compare frequency is then 1/16. With the normal Phase detector with a working range of one period (T), you have a 16 T working range on the desired frequency.

Regards Falk

Reply to
Falk Brunner

The huge jitter only occurs at low frequencies.

Firstly, let's fix the terminology. Your 'T' is more commonly referred to as a Unit Interval (UI) when measuring jitter on a 2Mbit/s circuit.

According to ITU-T G.823 (and a few others), the maximum tolerable jitter on an E1 is 1.5UIp-p in the band 20Hz - 2400Hz, and 0.2UIp-p in the band 18kHz - 100kHz. Other specs indicate that the jitter / wander may be as high as 18us p-p (36.8UIp-p) in the band from (1/1 day) to 0.8138Hz. (If you draw this on a graph, there's a nice

-20dB/decade slope between the segments.)

Since you are making test equipment, you should be able to generate and measure jitter with a higher amplitude than this, say by at least

6dB. Your 10-20 UI figure sounds reasonable, but only at mid frequencies.

I suggest that a more reasonable specification for test equipment would be: > 80 UIp-p, for frequencies up to 0.81Hz > 3 UIp-p, for frequencies between 20Hz and 18kHz > 0.4 UIp-p, for frequencies greater than 18kHz.

I assume you are tracking the incoming phase with a PLL. If the PLL has a loop bandwidth of > 1.5 * 18kHz, the phase detector inside the PLL will never see a phase difference of more than 2 UI p-p, which means that a standard phase detector can be used without going outside its linear range.

Regards, Allan.

Reply to
Allan Herriman