OT: Shop trying to force a return

Since around mid-2014, Chinese manufacturer Xiaomi has been enjoying a huge success here in India selling mid-range mobile phones at prices no other company could touch. The phones are sold exclusively at a popular online shop in weekly flash sales. Pre-registration is mandatory on a "one phone per registered user per sale" basis. I bought one for my wife and subsequently several more for others who don't have the internet-savvy and/or online payment facility to make the purchase themselves. These are all close friends and relatives and I don't do it for profit although some of them voluntarily give me something extra for the time and effort I put in.

After last week's sale, the shop apparently wised up to the fact that more than one phone was going to the same address. Their email didn't quite come right out and say that I bought more than one phone at one sale. They said "......in order to provide all customers an equal opportunity to avail this great deal we had to cancel the following items in your Order......" A bit annoying but understandable when considered from their point of view.

More annoying was a phone text message they sent at the same time saying that my order was cancelled because the courier could not deliver it to my address. An obvious lie probably made up in a hurry. Anyway, the phones had come more than half-way already when they sent the email and the phone message. _Really_ annoying is the notification the shop left in my account: It says that they have scheduled a pick up for the item I wish to refund. I wish to refund??!!

The phones are now in my hands but I won't pass them out yet until I've sorted things out with the shop. But I have no intention of returning them even if the shop actually sends a courier to pick them up. What do you think of the whole thing?

Reply to
Pimpom

Are the phones locked to a specific carrier? If not, Xiaomi has no way to prevent their use. I don't know if there's any controlling law in your country, but I'd tend to ignore the shop... unless, of course, they can nail your credit card with a big charge :-( ...Jim Thompson

No.

I don't see how the law in any country could be used against my purchase. The only condition imposed was "One phone per registered user per sale". Prior to the sale, I had created separate shop accounts for each of my friends and registered for the sale with each account. Account creation needed only a verifiable email address and a password. No name, address, credit card number, etc. A postal address and phone number have to be entered at check-out time, that's all.

Then I bought a phone with each account. In effect, my friends each bought a phone with his/her account. I just did the typing and mouse-clicking on their behalf. In fact, some of them were sitting with me at the time of the flash sale. Since I don't make a profit or offer the phones for sale to the public, I honestly don't think I violated any legal, ethical or literal aspect of the shop's terms.

In contrast, I have seen the phones offered for exorbitant prices at eBay India. Some even blatantly offer to buy the phones at the next sale for a fee.

I used a debit card :-) I composed a scathing mail to the shop but then decided to give myself a chance to cool off and perhaps tone down the message before sending it.

Reply to
Pimpom

Probably still scathe, but simply advise them what you did for each friend. They'll probably stop trying to annoy. ...Jim Thompson