FFTs On Excel

Has anyone heard about Fourier transforms on Excel? Google didn't have any quick obvious hits.

Excel would be a cheap easy way demonstrate FFTs in the classroom.

The first column would be phase angle and 2nd column would calculate A1sin(w1*t + phi1) + A2sin(w2*t + phi2) etc. for a time domain signal.

Go down 256 cells and start something like the divide and conquer approach.

The A1, A2, A3 . . . An and phi1, phi2, phi3, . . . phin would output in the cells dedicated to various frequency ranges.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Has anyone heard about Fourier transforms on Excel? Google didn't have any quick obvious hits.

Excel would be a cheap easy way demonstrate FFTs in the classroom.

The first column would be phase angle and 2nd column would calculate A1sin(w1*t + phi1) + A2sin(w2*t + phi2) etc. for a time domain signal.

Go down 256 cells and start something like the divide and conquer approach.

A1, A2, A3 . . . An and phi1, phi2, phi3, . . . phin would output in cells dedicated to various frequency ranges.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Has anyone ever heard about Fourier transforms on Excel? Google didn't have any quick obvious hits.

Excel would be a cheap easy way demonstrate FFTs in the classroom.

The first column would be phase angle and 2nd column would calculate A1sin(w1*t + phi1) + A2sin(w2*t + phi2) etc. for a time domain signal.

Go down 256 cells and start something like the divide and conquer approach.

A1, A2, A3 . . . An and phi1, phi2, phi3, . . . phin would output in two column of cells dedicated to various frequency ranges.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Wrong, listen to me I know whatthe f*ck I am talking about.

X=55~>645.44 by 67%^,,,gh

Got it?

Now f*ck off.

--
Don't FUCK with me. I'm tuff. And stupid but don't dare FUCK with me.
Reply to

Nancy,

I think your error is that you've completely neglected the effects of time and termperature. Without these factors it is not possible to accurately estimate time to mortality.

Eric Jacobsen Minister of Algorithms Abineau Communications

Eric Jacobsen

Seriously?

Google: Excel fourier --> About 335,000 results (0.23 seconds)

Google: Excel fft --> About 364,000 results (0.24 seconds) First hit: How to do a Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) in Microsoft Excel

In which universe did you actually do the Google search?

Reply to
Greg Neill

Tools->Data Analysis->Fourier Analysis

if not there go to Tools->Add ins and add the Analysis toolpak

Reply to
davew

blah blah blah

who are you to tell ME what I do and don't know. I have children who do that.

Revised:

5N^2 + N + 20 is O(N^2).

I use a complicated algorithm to determine the FFTs chosen on any given day from a pool of 6.023x10*23

The exact details will have to remain a secret, but I can tell you that it involves fibonacci sequences, monte carlo methods, differential equations, recursion, neural networks, priority queues, referential transparency, lambda calculus, bipartite graphs, the phase of the moon and the tire pressure of John Cleese's bicycle.

--
Don't FUCK with me. I'm tuff. And stupid but don't dare FUCK with me.
Reply to
Nancy Norelli

Nuts and Volts mag had a good article a few years ago, with accompanying excell spreadsheet.

Reply to
1jam

Well, clearly, your results are not going to be valuable or significant if you're not using Markov models, Mersenne primes, and parabolic interpolation. Didn't your kids tell you that?

Eric Jacobsen Minister of Algorithms Abineau Communications

Eric Jacobsen

Nancy, I can understand the other factors, but what do neural networks have to do with it?

--
Randy Yates                      % "The dreamer, the unwoken fool -
Digital Signal Labs              %  in dreams, no pain will kiss the brow..."

I'd guess to compute the belief propagation through the bipartite graph.

Do I win anything?

Eric Jacobsen Minister of Algorithms Abineau Communications

Eric Jacobsen

ha ha ha a noob would ask that question. You need to draw the attention of educators.

I know what it is to draw the attention of educators, and be selected for I.Q. testing and advanced placement. I don't have a degree in physics, so maybe if I did then this "genius" thing which I've been assigned might be put to better use on this subject.

I have a gift for looking past the obvious and discussing the abstract. I saved a lot of people of many different ethnicities. You did know that in Junior high school I memorized the Latin genus of all the snakes in North America? I was a herpetologist by age 15. I am a master chess player.

You can call yourself a creative genius when you've done what I've done. My walls are covered with the first run editions of /intricate valuable artwork. I have the originals safely stored away too. All these pieces were commissioned before they were started, and they represent thousands of dollars in revenue. They were all done by the same artist.

*Me*
--
Don't FUCK with me. I'm tuff. And stupid but don't dare FUCK with me.
Reply to
Nancy Norelli

The Hermitian.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Yes and I've used it. In my opinion it isn't very good due to the messy way Excel deals with complex numbers, but useful if you haven't got any better software available.

Have you tried the Excel help?

There are plenty of free calculators on the web, for example:

Gareth

Hi Bret, Yep, Excel performs FFTs. (At least it did a few Excel Versions ago.)

If you're still havin' trouble, post another message here and I'll launch my Excel and see how it's done.

Good Luck, [-Rick-]

Reply to
Rick Lyons

Keep them coming, I may eventually understand this subject .... Thanks, John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

This guy:

shook my hand and said he admired me.

Meanwhile, I found numerous punctuation errors in the above treatise to your genius.

Eric Jacobsen Minister of Algorithms Abineau Communications

Eric Jacobsen

If you don't shut up we'll all get an ass whupping.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

What is it that you don't understand but want to?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical technique to transform from time domain (what you would see on an oscilloscope) to the frequency domain (what you would see on a spectrum analyzer).

An FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) is a very efficient algorithm for doing a Fourier transform on sampled data.

Reply to
Gareth