help with excel

I want to multiply all the numbers in column A by .07 and put the answers in column B. Then add all the numbers in B for total and put that in C1. I am at home but it's not homework. Mike

Reply to
amdx

In B1, enter =3DA1:n*0.07

where n is the number of rows.

In C1, enter =3DSUM(B1:n)

Or just read Excel Help. It's all in there, and usually less trouble = than asking online.

Tim

--=20 Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk. Website:

answers in=20

Reply to
Tim Williams

I use Excel rarely, but I vaguely recall that there's a way to do the first (equation) entry in column B, then scroll down one line at a time, and it'll index the entries.

RTFM :-)

Actually the help in Excel (at least old versions) is pretty good. ...Jim Thompson

What Tim said (but it doesn't work in OOo).

Or in cell B1 put

=A1 * 0.7

then copy that down for as many entries as you have in A -- it'll automatically change the index for the reference to the A column.

Then in C1 put

=sum(B1:B)

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Thanks guys, I realized I didn't do what I wanted. I have in column A1 thru A39 the SS taxes I paid. I want to find the value of A1 compounded at 7% interest over 39 years. Then A2 compounded at 7% interest over 3 years, and A3 compounded at 7% interest over 36 years, etc. Then I want add them all to find what the total as is if I had put all my SS payments into an account earning 7% compounded annually. Any help?

Reply to
amdx

Mike, In column A put the year number (39 to 1) In column B the contributions for that year In column C the equation for interest on the amount in B for the years in A In column D you put the SUM(C1:Cn) equation

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

present value this year = 1.07 * present value last year + this year's contribution.

So, if you have the contributions in column A starting at A1, cell B1 would be '=A1', then cell B2 would be '=1.07 * B1 + A2', and you could copy cell B2 down through the rest of the sheet.

If you're doing this to be pissed off at the government, you should at least be fair and keep in mind that an account that earns 7% interest in a 7% inflation year gains no real value it all -- i.e. you should depreciate past values by inflation.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Using column headings named however you desire in A1 B1 and C1, your final summation result will be in C2. Other than that, it is as you prescribe.

In the top cell (of data, say "B2") for column B place the formula (without the quotes):

"=A1*0.07"

In C2 place:

"=SUM(B2:BX)"

Where "X" is replaced by the last row number of your data set.

There is also a way to automatically sum the entire column.

=SUM(B:B)

The latter works just fine.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

asking online.

You missed what he meant.

He wants to multiply EACH number in A. Not a running tally of any kind.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

It doesn't work at all.

Except that you are off by an order of magnitude, dude.

Or just =SUM(B:B)

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

There are interest compounding templates on MS' office web site.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

the numbers in column A by .07 and put the answers

Excel has an Accrued Interest at Maturity function. Seach Help for "ACCRINTM"

Reply to
mpm

Maybe that's why I couldn't get the help tp work. I am using open office.

Reply to
amdx

I'm just following thru with the numbers thought up by Bill Bowden in the Hey Larkin, "how about something new" thread. He said the following, "Yes, but if they paid in say $50,000 over 40 years, the investment would double every 10 years at a 7% return. So, figuring the average amount of $25,000 doubling every 10 years for 40 years you get $400,000 and maybe 15k benefit which is less than a 5% return. Should last forever. So, you probably won't get back what you paid in, unless you paid very little in, in which case you win the game." But the battering effect inflation can have on the buying power of your SS dollars is important. I'll add that into the equation, after I find out where the government has put all the interest that I have been earning on my SS. :-) Mike

Reply to
amdx

Oh, and this here distinguished newsgroup would surely like to know where to find a risk-free interest bearing account that will consistently generate 7% :-))

Ok, social security ain't totally risk-free either, as evidenced by the pushing up of retirement ages in many countries. Except maybe Greece but I bet that's about to change ...

Other than that I am with Tim, try this on an MS-Office spreadsheet. Doesn't matter much which version. Even MS-Works has a compound interest function and that software comes standard with many PCs. OpenOffice might, check under "IMPT".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Maybe his name is Madoff.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

The rule of thumb is that if you have a chunk of money earning interest of x%, with x in the single digits, it'll double every 70/x years.

That rule of thumb doesn't apply if there's money going in -- then you gotta do the math.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

=A0Mike

uld

My, you're in a generous mood tonight. Somedays I'd settle for 0.7% (0.007), or at least anything in positive territory. :)

Reply to
mpm

=A0 Mike

.

's

ould

in a

iate

ing,

you

of your SS

he

e quoted text -

I thought the general rule was if you have a chunk of money earning interest of x%, with x in the single digits, Uncle Sam will butt-f*ck you every 70/x years. And if you have money going in, reduce that to 35/x. :)

Sorry for the language. I just watched Obama's address.

Reply to
mpm

Symple; put equation in B1 0.7*A1 and copy to B1..B999(whatever), then in C1 enter the equation =SUM(B1:B999) or whatever the last one is.

Reply to
Robert Baer