Computer wire for speakers question

I purchased an extension cable (wire) for my computer speakers. My speakers are in my bedroom next to the computer room so I put the cable through the wall. The cable for my DSL connection also goes through the same hole in the wall. After I did this I experienced some problem with my DSL connection. It seemed as if I was stilled connected, but I could not get a webpage to come up. We contacted our service provider, and got things working although there was no apparent change in any of the settings. We have had the DSL for over a year with no problems. After it worked again, I listened to a program over the internet on the speakers, and the same problem occurred again. We fixed again (by luck?), and it made me think that maybe the closeness of the two cables might have caused the problem (electrical interference of some sort?). The person at Radio Shack said the cable was unshielded. Could there be a relationship between the two cables. I discounted the speakers, and plan to run it through the wall in a differement more distant hole.

Thanks

Tom

Reply to
tombates

Nope. Probably a loose connection on the cable.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

" snipped-for-privacy@city-net.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Move the speakers if you think they're causing trouble. Move them back and see if it fails. It's very much unlikely, but this is just eliminating that possiblity.

Btw, unshielded network cables are fine. The majority of cables are unshielded, having twists in the seperate connectors to deal with interference.

Puckdropper

Puckdropper

It seems unlikely for the speaker cable to cause problems by being close to the ADSL for such a short distance are you certain you didnt disturb the ADSL wire when feeding the speaker wires through the hole?

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

We checked the connections numerous times, and unplugged and replugged. The DSL modems lthree lights were on which indicated that we had a connection. I opened up a dialog box which indicated we had been connected for "X" number of hours, and the seconds were still ticking away. It seemed we had a connection, but if we tried to bring a web page up, it would say it could not find the server which made md feel as if the domain anme server might have beend own, but I typed in a IP address number and that did not work either. We have changed the location of the speakers and their wires, and we try again.

Tom

Reply to
tombates

Happens here all the time, when our ISP is having issues. The router can easily detect if the link between itself and the exchange is dropped, so the problem must lie further up the line.. :).

Cheers, Nicholas Sherlock

--
http://www.sherlocksoftware.org
Reply to

The audio that travels through the speaker wires is less than 100khz but the signal that travels through the dsl wire is > 1Mhz. Not only that, the dsl uses differential signaling so that crosstalk is minimized.

The obvious troubleshooting method is simply to unplug the speakers from both sides so that no current is running through the wires. If your problem is resolved then its the speakers, if not then its something else. (If it is the speaker wire itself, which you have a better change of winning the lottery. (assuming the installation wasn't faulty in some way)).

Reply to
Jon Slaughter