Computer Question

Okay...here's my problem and I will try to describe the sequence of events:

System: I built it 2 yrs ago

2500XP ASUS M/B (KT400) 1 gig RAM(PC2400) Nvidia FX5600 128meg video card SB Audigy2 audio card 2 Maxtor 80gig HDs(7200rpm 8meg cache) Sony DRU10A DVD burner Windows XP SP1(can't get SP2, using educational copy)

The first sign of problems was when I tried to open a folder by double clicking it and got an error message that stated explorer.exe had a problem and needs to shutdown, to which I did. This started happening when I would try to explore folders on the hard drive more and more frequently. Then it started happening when I would try to run a program. It is happening with no regularity, just a random event. I start a program- error- shut it down and start it again and it runs normal. Most times this error occurs when I explore a folder.

I suspected a virus or other evil intent program. Well, I use AVG antivirus and keep it updated religiously, so I scanned. Nothing. I used Spybot S&D, nothing. I used Hijack This, nothing out of the ordinary. So I figure my system is clean. Hardware problem???

I started uninstalling all non-vital programs. The problem is still there and happens once or twice a day.

Then...one day I need to burn a CD with data and went through the normal process. It hung during the burn and I had a heck of a time trying to get out of it. I tried it again...same thing.

I figured DVD burner went bad and replaced it with a known working TDK CDRW. Tried the burn again and it hung just like before. Replace the ribbon cable, no change.

I'm running a web design business on this computer and having a terrible time completing projects with this problem.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Thank you,

--
Tom

"That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest."
	-Henry Thoreau

"The original point and click interface is a Smith and Wesson"
Reply to
Tom

You might have fallen into the bad caps category. Go to

and see if your symptoms look like those. I started having issues such as yours and finally found that out of 15 caps like that on the MB, 13 were leaking and/or had bulged tops. Look for brown spots in the center of the caps, or running down the board. I replaced all on my board and it's still running after a couple years.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Have you tried to do a repair installation of Windows XP?

JMK

events:

problem

antivirus

ribbon

Reply to
JMK

As JMK so eloquently stated:

No I haven't, but I will now. :)

Note: It locked up a few minutes ago. When I tried a ctrl-alt-delete reboot, it popped up a box saying "ctfmon.exe was not responding - end now?", then "explorer.exe was not responding - end now?" I ended them both and it rebooted.

Thank you,

--
Tom

"That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest."
	-Henry Thoreau

"The original point and click interface is a Smith and Wesson"
Reply to
Tom

Wonder if you can swap out the RAM & see if the problem goes away - I had a similar set of problems with this PC earlier in the year, and it went away after swapping out one of the DIMMs.....

Regards Adrian Suffolk UK

======return email munged================= take out the papers and the trash to reply

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Hello,

Ominously, I've seen a few Dell PCs in the past year (and less than a year old) with bulging capacitors.

Kris.

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:24:14 -0500, "Wayne Tiffany" said to us:

Reply to
Kris Shaw

Check out all the comments from the user opinions. I'd try to get rid of it if I were you.

Reply to
JW