Cat 5 wire question

I have a freezer monitoring system that uses Cat5 cable. It uses Maxim's 1 wire system. Over the years the insulation of the Cat5 cable has cracked because of movement of the wire at the low temperature of the freezers, -20F.

I'm going to start replacing leads to the sensors, each sensor uses only two wires, most of the leads to the sensors are less than

10ft. I'm not sure how important it is to follow tight Cat5 spec's. I want a two conductor Cat5 spec'ed cable that is low temperature tolerant. Any ideas, Mikek
Reply to
amdx

I'm not sure how important it is to follow tight Cat5 spec's.

It's not important at all - since your not sending network signals over the cable you can do what you please with it - it's just wire and MOW systems have little trouble with 10' of cable at there low data rates.

Reply to
David Eather

What is MOW? Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Two pieces of #24 teflon-insulated wire, twisted to about 4-6 TPI?

Solid doesn't like to flex, but stranded gets weak points at the ends where it's tinned. I have no idea about any heatshrink that doesn't get stiff to brittle in the cold, so good luck on that - maybe a glop of silicone RTV?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Microwave Oven Wire? ;-)

But in answer to the wire question - I've given my best answer - use teflon-insulated hookup wire twisted into pairs; the hard part will be the termination, albeit I guess proper crimp terminals are good for stranded, and don't really care about temperature.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Insulation or jacket? it is pretty rare for the insulation to fail if the jacket is intact.

Direct burial CAT5e cable with a polyethylene jacket should be pretty good for low temp service. Good plenum rated cable would be a lot better than cheap PVC jacketed cable too - if your problem is PVC jacket failure then upgrading to Belden plenum rated might be all you need.

Maxim 1-wire sensors do not need CAT5 cables, why not use an industrial cable designed for low temp service?

Glen

Reply to
Glen Walpert

I'd bet that a simple pair of 24Ga Teflon insulated wire would do. Hell, you can buy "STP" (shielded twisted pair) that comes with a Teflon sheath on it. run four lengths, if you actually need a full cat 5 feed. Feed only one for the apparent need seen here.

Or, just twist together that 24Ga pair to or beyond the appropriate twist level, and feed that bare pair. No need for all the others or any sheathing. Teflon can handle far colder than your freezer.

Reply to
Mark Datter

"Maxim One Wire"?

Reply to
Mark Datter

Silver plated is what you want. The most common call out. Tin plated under Teflon is a pain in the ass to actually "tin" in use. But certain types of terminations do not need, nor should they have tinned wire ends.

DUH! Then you do NOT tin it, dimwit! One doesn't invite embrittlement.

Kynar. Also High Voltage heat shrinks actually perform well at lower temps because they are so thick.

I don't think the problem was mentioned as being AT a termination point.

Reply to
Mark Datter

Teflon sheathed "STP" (shielded twisted pair). It is just over an eighth inch in diameter for 24 Ga, IIRC. Military uses it for long cable run pairs all the time.

Third entry down on the list table:

0.137"
Reply to
Mark Datter

Bingo! Considering the subject of the post I didn't think that would be hard.

Reply to
David Eather