comparators in IC 555

Because they aren't. Someone didn't say "we'll take that comparator and that flip flop and put it into a single package". They figured out what was needed, and then proceeded to work out the circuit.

You could probably make a 555 from any comparator that worked off a single supply voltage going up to +12v, and a CMOS flip flop. If that's what you are trying to do. Might not work perfectly, but the concept is there.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

=46ound these:

Also, LTspice's Yahoo group library includes Jim Thompson's CMOS version, but I don't think anyone has laid out a nice looking schematic for it -- just the .subckt model.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

This is the almost-correct internal schematic:

All the internal functions are done with NPN and PNP transistors. Q1...Q8 make one comparator, and Q10...Q15 is the other.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

As I reported 12 hours ago...

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 08:01:05 -0700 Message-ID: ...Jim Thompson

The functional blocks inside integrated circuits don't have part numbers, they are just collections of bespoke components, components that were designed specifically for that application and also don't have part numbers.

In integrated circuit design it costs no more to use a bespoke part than it does to use a copy of an existing discrete part.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

--
The correct one is on page 11-4 of Hans Camenzind's book,
"Designing Analog Chips", which can be downloaded for free at:

www.designinganalogchips.com
Reply to
John Fields

No, they're not. They're made from transistors that form part of the monolithic silicon slab that is the IC itself.

Your question has no meaning.

LTspice has an "educational", example, circuit, comprising the internals of the 555. It actually works. Get LTspice (free), and study it.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse