Blue LEDs? when did that happen?

I ran across an old electronics book, the beginning chapters of which deal with light emitting diodes. it described the problem of blue LEDs; IIRC, the distance between the poles determines the color, but when you get them far enough apart to make blue light, current no longer flows between the poles.

Am I remembering correctly, and how was the problem solved?

Reply to
guy-jin

It's the semiconductor bandgap, not the physical dimensions, that determines the color.

I think the Cree SiC blue led's predated these, but they were horrendously inefficient: they needed something like 3 volts, 50 mA to be a decent panel indicator. Paralleled 74S38s + 27 ohms from 5 volts!

But where do they use blue traffic lights?

John

The modern high-efficiency blue (and white) LEDs also require 3V, as determined by the band-gap voltage like you said. But they give more light at lower currents. These days all the rage is purple LEDs, for a much much more impressive light-color sensation.

Isn't purple needed for low-rider under-the-car lighting?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

 (email: use hill_at_rowland-dotties-org for now)
Reply to
Winfield Hill

Every couple of years we have to write ECOs to change the current-limit resistors on a lot of our products that use blue LEDs. They keep getting more efficient, and customers complain that our front-panel lights are blinding them. We must average about 5 mA these days, down from 50 with the old Cree parts.

John

Must have been an old book, the problem was allways getting the right material to make them, now we have UV leds as well. The Xray led is still a way offf yet though.

Reply to
CBarn24050

By one man Shuji Nakamura

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Austin,

Many things have changed since you were frozen in the 60's. And yes, Liberace was gay.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Japan, I think!

Reply to
Bullwinkle Jones

Blue plus yellow equals green...

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See  for full details.

Not that I ever saw.

Reply to
guy-jin

Is that somehow better than using green?

John

Doubtful that it's "better", but...

(And never mind the fact that I brain-farted on the fact that we've had green LEDs seemingly forever - Was thinking in terms of "Damn... Only have red and yellow - Gotta "build" green if using LEDs, and the only way to do that is yellow plus blue.")

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See  for full details.
Reply to
Don Bruder

They cover too much of the visible spectrum to have any very saturated color at all.

--
John Popelish
Reply to

Maybe this came from the Japanese having the same word for the colors blue and blue-green - something that I heard is true.

Don Klipstein

Ever mix the light from a blue LED with the light from a yellow one? It's certainly not green.

Don Klipstein

Can't say I have. To be honest, I don't think I recall ever even having a blue and a green LED in the same room together, let alone trying to mix 'em.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See  for full details.
Reply to
Don Bruder

"Don Klipstein" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com...

I've hear they have brue-gleen reds too.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

That is so; in the Japanese Language a 'green' traffic light is called 'blue' ["ao";"aoi"] while e.g. a 'green' leaf is 'green' ["midori";"midori no"]. As a result, a green traffic light and a blue LED are described by the same adjective which may be the source of this confusion - especially since the actual color of the traffic lights is identical to the western ones.

Chris

Reply to
Christoph Loew

I once had some LEDs which gave all the colours of the rainbow including xray, I put them directly across the mains, WOW!!! I lost my cat the same night.

Gordon.

Gordon Youd