Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Heat sink area for 10 watt LED?
What heat sink area would I need for this 10 watt white LED? The sink area on the LED is 7/8 inch by 9/16 or a little less since the corners are rounded. The max temp spec is 60c and ambient may be...
19
19

VHS-to-DVD
"Spring" Cleaning... Discovered ~30 VHS Family Tapes. Recommendations for best conversion to DVD? I presently no longer own any VHS equipment, though I have multiple DVD burners, even a Sony VRD-MC5...
20
20

Lead Acid Battery Charging
Hi, Battery: Charger: Circuit: I am trying to power up my circuit using the above mentioned battery and the circuit. My load works fine. It requires 300mA at +5V. The problem comes when I tried to...
31
31

TV Back-light Spark Gap?
I have a cheapy 19" Philips TV hanging on my office wall. It's taken to making a popping noise, suspiciously sounding like a spark gap. I'm pretty sure this is CFL back-lit. Anyone knowledgeable of...
41
41

WebCam Needed
need a USB WebCam using on Windows XP or later need highest NATIVE resolution. (at least 5M Pixels) need auto focus need best sensor (some I have seen produce poor color images). for taking stills....
2
2

"Chris Quartztal and Tanty Bead" ?
Anyone remember this cartoon strip in a UK electronics magazine in the late '70s? I was VERY young then. But I'm thinking of the only one I saw, that might have been Xmas '78? Chris Quartztal felt...
1
1

Cell Phone <=> USB <=> Address Book
My old LG "The V" cell phone finally croaked, so I have a new LG VN251. I'm looking for _good_ software to talk to the phone for address book management and photo retrieval. Any recommendations? I had...
3
3

74hct238 vs 74hct138
Why does it seem so much harder to find a 74hct238 chip than the 74hct138? I need a 1-of-8 decoder with HIGH output, but it seems like that is far less common than the one with LOW output. It's not...
4
4

Aldi £59 petrol generator and television
On just buying a 800 watt 'two' stroke petrol generator from Aldi, we have heard from someone who says that he has got one; and that his is running very roughly, and is really noisy. Also it says in...
73
73

I got Smart Metered Today
I saw a strange truck in the neighborhood, the guy went to the electrical boxes of a couple houses in the area. I figured he was installing smart meters. I came home a few minutes ago and all the...
157
157

The Wire In Wire Guided Missiles
Back during the cold war some EE said that he had little faith in any radio controlled missile. The only thing you could trust was a wire guided missile. He added, it must be really strong wire . . ....
15
15

OT computer question
I have DSL with a modem supplied by my telco. It has four ethernet ports on it. If I want to add wi-fi. Can I just get some kind of gizmo (and what is it called) plug that into one port and be good to...
13
13

Whatzit?
I'm tracing a PCB and came upon a 18-pin DIL (thru-hole) marked... 31199A R //9603CDW ^^^^--- Moto Batwing or Microchip Logo? Anyone know what it is? Thanks! ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson, CTO...
7
7

Seating Header Strips
I am working on a project involving some 40 Pin 2.54mm Male Double Row Header Strips. I need to securely position two of them in parallel with about an inch between them. The first thought was to get...
3
3

DVI digital signal over VGA cable
Does anyone know of an adapter that will allow me to run a DVI-D signal through a VGA cable (turn a VGA cable into a DVI-D cable)? Problem is that my computer has a DVI output, and my flat-screen TV...
3
3