Why Doesn't Digikey Have Litz Wire?

I'll guess..

1) Low industry demand 2) Each design requires a unique strand count/gauge combo. Digikey doesn't want to have thousands of dollars of stock for many varieties. 3) Nobody asks Digikey enough for them to gain an interest in stocking it 4) It's a conspiracy.. Smps manufacturers don't want DIY'rs to get the good stuff too easy. :) 5) Everybody is using cheaper alternatives. 6) Customers often buy direct off the wire manufacturers. 7) Somebody is outcompeting Digikey on Litz wire ? :) 8) Digikey doesn't want to make small spools and the Litz wire companies just want to sell big spools. 9) Digikey has enough *hit to deal with..

I sent an email to Digikey for an explanation...

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

I don't even think they carry normal magnet wire......

Reply to
Jeff L

I checked some time ago...No mag wire..

Digikey has thousands of items... Why not a bit more? What's wrong with a little bit of mag wire???

10 spools doesn't take up much space. They can sell it at an outrageous price too.. I'd still buy it just for the one stop shopping convenience.

I've been tempted to just buy transformers off Digikey just for the mag wire. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Hey, while you are at it, ask them why they don't sell prototype quantities of ferrite core and bobbin combinations. Pot (including DS), RM, PQ, and EC would be nice. The bobbins are often harder to find than the cores.

Reply to
John Popelish

The good stuff...the cores that in fashion... :) Digikey has little to lose in stocking some core material that is not perfect but will do the job. If they are not making a buck, they can allows stop selling it.. Digikey should try it out.

I'll save that for another email to Digikey.. I'm afraid to ask customer service 2 questions nowadays because often I only get one answer.. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

I do not have a lot of wire, but i do have a useable amount of some sizes that you are welcome to - as long as the mailing is less than $5 fro Portland OR to you.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I have never been able to *buy* 10 or 20 of a given bobbin size; the places that carry them give me what i want and charge shipping... ...i think that is wierd, but i make dern sure i do not abuse the priledge.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I'm looking for 50ft.. Got anything Litz around 66 strands of #38 ?? D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Have you ever seen a smps that used true Litz wire? All I've seen is multiple parallel strands of enameled wire.

See above.

or maybe

A) Litz wire isn't efficient in most switchmode power supplies, because it has too many DC ohms per cross-sectional area.

John

...[snip]

or 10) the proper designation is "litzendraht" and because you don't know that, you will never find it.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Digikey doesn't stock any magnetic supplies, magnet wire, pot cores, torroids, powderd metal cores, tape wound cores, transformer laminations, keepers, coil forms, bobbins and 100 other items peculiar to that industry. Digikey sells electronic components not the materials and supplies to make components. They don't sell mylar film to make capacitors, silicon to make IC's or nichrome to wind resistors and on and on.

For Litz wire try Wiretron or MSW

Reply to
Bob Eld