Study finds our galaxy may be full of dead alien civilisations

Lol! Cigarettes were taxed long before we even conceived of the societal costs involved. I'm fine with taxing anything you want as long as I don't have to pay it. lol

--

Rick C.

+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Except that it doesn't work like that. The usual way it works is that people wait for a catastrophe and then engage in grandiose projects.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

You can also study the possibility that we don't actually live in a "real" Universe at all, and we actually live in some kind of ancestor-simulation or Matrix-like situation. Is this more ore less likely than the probability that other intelligent civilizations "exist"? Well if whomever is running the simulation built it only to simulate us then the probability they exist is zero.

And there are scientific papers you can write about that also and people have done so, and tests you can devise that might in theory lend credence one way or the other.

And you can apply the Copernican principle in various ways to that one too and say perhaps if we don't actually live in that type of situation then super-advanced civilizations with the capability to do a computational experiment like that must be extremely rare, or some fundamental physics prevents even the most advanced civilizations from doing them, or don't do experiments like that very often for some unknown universally-applicable moral reason. or some combination. Otherwise it's very likely that we do. And you can construct a Drake-equation probabilistic analog for all that, too.

Hopefully they don't decide to shut it down the minute we get hip to their shenanigans.

Reply to
bitrex

Must have only seen indefinite integrals, then. Definite integrals tend to have a well-defined answer if certain conditions on integrability appropriate to the type of integral are met. Just because the solutions for most definite integrals can't be expressed in closed-form doesn't mean they don't have well-defined solutions that do exist and are as "real" and true as the solution to any other type of equation.

Reply to
bitrex

How do you recognize a catastrophe at 2 mm per year?

n alien civilisations, though there's a strong possibility most of them are already dead.

to me.

ly

ien

rted with speculation and some crude equations. With there being billions a nd billions of stars in our own galaxy, it seems rather absurd to think our environment is such a happy coincidence that there aren't millions of simi lar planets to Earth. If you consider that life is not just a random assemb lage of elements into active organic compounds, but a pathway for the ever increasing organization of improved replication, it would seem that it woul d be inevitable rather than fortunate.

nt chemical organizations. Just as we have life based on RNA and DNA coding for proteins, there can likely be other life based on other organizations.

ge of science we can learn more about what is possible while we wait for a clear sign of life other than on Earth. That doesn't make it Voodoo.

me

ly

in

an

ly

s.

so

ssibilities of life elsewhere in the universe.

Ok, but that's your thing, not mine.

I thought you were doing the research? You tell us.

Sounds like you have company. Good for you. :)

You mean by Volgons?

--

Rick C.

++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

You ask people who live approximately that elevation above sea level:

Reply to
bitrex

They will have the dubious honor of being the first nation to require evacuation

Reply to
bitrex

Larkin is truly one of the world's greatest crap thinkers. He can't conceive of anything that isn't about him or his opinions. It is that simple. If he isn't personally impacted, his opinion is that it doesn't matter.

--

Rick C.

--- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
--- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

I'm not a scientist.

There's no more or less evidence for it currently than the existence of intelligent alien life, really. It's probably unlikely, in the same way finding out anything truly interesting about the existence of other intelligent life in the Universe in our lifetimes is unlikely.

If humans are looking for big answers or some God-analogue in the physical heavens to assuage our existential loneliness I don't think we'll find him there. IMO

People write science-papers on all sorts of topics, just because the pop-culture appeal of these ideas isn't as great as thinking about ET doesn't mean they're invalid things to speculate on in a paper.

Reply to
bitrex

ies

The same way the Dutch did in 1953.

Some improbable combination of bad weather events and high tides creates a worse problem than anybody has seen before, and kills enough people ( 1,836 in that case) to attract attention to it.

Then the scientific community points out that it could have been even worse - and that the next one is likely to be quite a bit worse - and the commun ity gets started on a grandiose project. The Delta Plan was what the Dutch called theirs. It seems to have worked - so far - but even 2mm a year of se a level rise is demanding further investment.

If the Greenland ice sheet, or the East Antarctic ice sheet starts slipping off into the ocean - the way the Laurentian ice sheet did at the end of th e last ice age, which seems to have stopped the Gulf Stream for some 1300 y ears - they may have to invest quite a lot more, rather quickly.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Check out Venice. They seem to think rising water is a problem.

--

Rick C.

--+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
--+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

On a sunny day (Thu, 24 Dec 2020 13:33:03 +0000) it happened Martin Brown wrote in :

IMO that is a mistake These transmissions, from say an advanced civilization, will be pseudo random over a wide bandwidth and close to the Shannon limit, see DVB-S2 for example. To decode those you need to provide the correct random sequence even for GPS.

scroll down for the shift register CA code generator. It is a nice site! I leaned a lot from that.

For code generation for DVB-S see my C source code:

based on ets_300421e01p.pdf DVB-S standard from etsi.org, then see 4.4.1 Transport multiplex adaptation and randomization for energy dispersal...

One could record part of the spectrum and try continuous replay to see if there are any hits for sequences we know. The bandwidth could be huge, Else it would just look like wide-band noise.

It is so also a math challenge if you like that!

Ultimately we look for wiggling electrons. If you follow the viewpoint that any moving electron in the universe effects any (every) other electron and resonance is the key, bandwidth works against you. I am no kwantuum ? expert, but maybe there are things to be gained from coupling between very far away electron states.

We have just started, after all what is say 200 years of radio on ?how long have we been around? Maybe the big dishes are not needed.

Sure there is also RF noise from alien planets, recently one was discovered to emit radio bursts, but that is likely from atmospheric effects..

Hey happy Christmas everybody!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Due to isostacy, the ice age glaciers pushed the ground level by one or two kilometers, In certain areas the ground is still popping up back, in some areas of Scandinavia the land rise is still 3-10 mm/year, moving the coastline outward. Other areas not covered by glaciers are not so lucky, they might be sinking .e.g the Netherlands. Part of North America was covered by heavy glaciers, so I would expect some areas to still pop up (land rise), thus suffering less due to increased amount of sea water.

It should be noted that the water melting now from Greenland and Antarctica will end up in the oceans, pushing the bottom of the oceans downwards. On other parts of the world (mainly continents) the land is pushed upwards, reducing the effects on costal areas, provided that the melting is relatively slow (thousands of years) so that isostacy can catch up.

In addition even centuries long costal water level measurements are unreliable due to local isostacy and you get wildly different numbers for the sea level rise depending where it is measured, Only satellite measurements during the last few decades will give reliable figures for sea level rising.

Reply to
upsidedown

The real question: Is it due to land level sinking or sea water rising?

Reply to
upsidedown

=====================

** Dunno much know about dead aliens .....

But when I was a kid in the early 1960s, the recommendation was that you needed a TV tech to come out and clean your set of all the dead Indians at least once a year ..........

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

They seem to concede that they have no idea as to the likelihood of life appearing in the first place. After that, any result is just speculation.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Are you actually Sloman, or are you just aping his stupid pseudo-academic third-party attempts at insults? And his selecive snipping of inconvenient links.

Be as afraid and as useless as you need to be. Both of you.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin

Last year Dr. Virginie Duvat published a global assessment of how the

sea level rise since satellite monitoring began in the 1980s.

analyzed lost land area, b) 88.6% of the 709 islands studied were either stable or increased in area, c) no island larger than 10 hectare (ha) decreased in size, and d) only 4 of 334 islands (1.2%) larger than 5 had had decreased in size.

Sorry to present bad (ie, good) news. But there's plenty of other bad stuff you can cluck about.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin

Earth is not a uniform, static sphere. It all goes up and down. A lot of the down in coastal areas is from building levees and pumping out groundwater.

Excellent book: Rising Tide by Barry. He's not a fan of the US Army Corps of Engineers.

The recent New Orleans flood wasn't caused by sea level rise, it was caused by multiple active stupidities.

And local water level is like random noise: once in a while there is a giant spike, when a lot of inputs pile up. Cities aren't designed for those infrequent spikes. Adding 2 mm per year isn't a big deal when you have an occasional 5 meter surge.