SPICE models for power MOSFETs

Design of circuits using power MOSFETs is an important part of what we do. It's a favorite topic, and we talked about it plenty in AoE 3rd. Our upcoming x-Chapter book, that's filled with advanced material, has about 130 pages on the subject. See Dropbox for a mini-section draft about MOSFET SPICE models and capacitance. It goes after a lengthy section discussing specific MOSFET part aspects, and implications. You could make a printout to better follow the details.

Let me know what you think.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

It would bear noting that the model dependent on Vgd is essentially bogus. I've never seen a MOSFET like that. VDMOS is dependent on Vds for both Cgd and Cds. Seems unintuitive, but that's how it is!

Here's an implementation from one of my models,

  • Diode junction capacitance model, dependent on 3rd terminal.
  • Use for G, D, S as MOSFET Crss. .SUBCKT C_CJO2 1 2 4 PARAMS: CJO=10p M=0.5 VJ=0.75 E1 3 2 1 2 1.0 C1 3 2 {CJO} BI 2 1 I={I(E1) * EXP(LIMIT(LN((ABS(V(2,4)) / VJ) + 1) * M * -1, -40, 40))} .ENDS

Note that it isn't limited on M as some simulators are (why?!). Values from

3 to 20 (more than 20 gives diminishing returns) fit SJ devices pretty well.

I also haven't seen a device that shows nearly as pronounced of a kink as the datasheet suggests. Here's a real measurement:

I have no idea how or why everyone shows a kink. It's not actually there.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC

"Winfield Hill"  wrote in message
> Design of circuits using power MOSFETs is an
> important part of what we do.  It's a favorite
> topic, and we talked about it plenty in AoE 3rd.
> Our upcoming x-Chapter book, that's filled with
> advanced material, has about 130 pages on the
> subject.  See Dropbox for a mini-section draft
> about MOSFET SPICE models and capacitance.  It
> goes after a lengthy section discussing specific
> MOSFET part aspects, and implications. You could
> make a printout to better follow the details.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9nhm5fxm8zwsei3/AAB0lYLZmwXkOl-FeG8fuDfea?dl=0
>
> Let me know what you think.
>

> --
> Thanks,
>    - Win
Reply to
Tim Williams

In footnote 3, I think you want to use "prescribed" rather than "proscribed".

Reply to
Steve Goldstein

Yes. I don't even know how to measure Vgd with Vgs values other than zero. Once you would start the MOSFET conducting, C-V meters can't deal with it. Maybe with a linear source-follower circuit, but that'll have a modest Vgs, certainly not variable.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

You can tell the difference at low Vds, particularly in switching operation where Vgs is rising and Vds is falling (or vice versa).

Right, C meters are useless for many checks, it has to be measured dynamically.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams