Small voltage detector

LOL- your title had me thinking of some strange diode invented by an individual named Orring....hmmmkay.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Not really, and most of the ckts proposed here are amplifiers and not comparators.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Google says the company is ALD. Such a part would be very useful in my projects, thanks! Another exotica I didn't know about.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Useful, but there's no free lunch. The transconductance of a MOSFET near threshold is poor; if you need 1/2 mA of output drive and the threshold is at 0V, the output goes low at Vin = 0.5 mA/g_m which (as I read an ALD datasheet) takes 300 mV swing to move the output, and it's gotta be biased +4V from the threshold to get THAT sensitive. Your 'comparator' switches, then, at 4V to 4.3V, not near the 0.0V threshold.

ALD's products are mainly sold in matched-duals and quads, for multitransistor designs.

By comparison, if you can get the biasing right (10 mA quiescent emitter current) a plain old NPN transistor will have g_m of 400 mA/V, and switches 0.5 mA at Vin of 0.600V to 0.6013V...

Either multiple DC supplies, or multiple transistors, are needed to get a zero-volt switch function that's really clean. I liked the old uA742 for a while (long obsolete, but it ran off AC and made its own regulated power).

Reply to
whit3rd

Can the voltage being sensed source AND sink a small amount of current? ...Jim Thompson

Not just a single transistor, but reasonably temperature stable...

...Jim Thompson