Semi OT: EV charging

I've done some math, and it looks like at current natural gas rates it would be significantly cheaper to charge my Volt EV from a 240 volt 30 amp emergency generator plugged into a natural gas line, than to charge it off a 120 volt wall socket directly, even during off-peak hours.

Too bad I have electric heat!

Reply to
bitrex

Too bad you have a Volt >:-}

Too bad you live in Leftist Land with artificially high electric rates. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

I dunno what you're talking about, it's an awesome car..probably one of the best products GM has done in 30 years.

Yeah, it's not fantastic.

Reply to
bitrex

So heat your house with the waste heat from the emergency generator and use your house thermostat to start and stop the generator. As long as you accumulate enough heating time, exactly when you charge the car is immaterial.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

It's range wouldn't get me from here to downtown Phoenix.

...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

It has a 1.4L 4 cylinder gas engine too, ya know. Since it turns a generator and can operate at a constant RPM, and the car also has regenerative braking, it's very efficient.

I can often get around 41, 42 MPG highway just running off the gas, which is as good as a dinky Fiat 500, while driving a car that's as big as many midsizes and handles like a sports sedan, and actually drives like something you'd want to drive.

It's a rocket!

Reply to
bitrex

Stats for last week:

268 miles driven

$5 worth of 89 octane

About $4.50 in electric bills.

About 8 hours parked at free public chargers.

Reply to
bitrex

really? at 30 something % efficiency and including maintenance of the gener ator?

if it makes sense to charge with a gas generator, they it would make sense to run the heating with a gas generator

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Wanna drag ?>:-} My 4.5L V-8 will leave you in the dust ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

"Free" ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

A generator that will run 24/7 costs a lot more than an emergency backup generator.

Around there they get you with minimum charge for being hooked up to the grid, and bylaws saying you're required to be hooked up to the grid, or so I'm told.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

It looks like it might be so.

Off peak residential rates for National Grid in MA:

2.801 cents per kWh, plus 2.33 cents transmisison, plus 1.784 cents "Energy Efficiency Charge", plus 0.05 cents "Renewables Charge", plus $20 a month basic service rate.

Not including the basic service cost I get a total off-peak rate of about 7 cents per kWh, times 12kWh for full charge, gives about 83 cents electricity cost for a full charge.

Natural gas provided by Eversource is 24.5 cents per therm as of May 1, a therm is ~ 30 kWh, so that's about 10 cents worth of gas assuming 100% conversion efficiency.

Even assuming 30% efficiency, it looks like we have a clear winner.

Condo owner probably wouldn't give me the option. ; )

Reply to
bitrex

Free to me. If you ran the math, I'm sure you'd find that I'm saving taxpayers money on every gallon of gas I don't buy, because each gallon produced is subsidized X amount out of our pockets.

As long as Pilgrim is still open, a significant fraction of the juice I draw is nuclear electrons.

Reply to
bitrex

And another 50% or so is domestically produced natural gas. I'm driving a Detroit made car on indigenously grown electrons...what could be more American.

Reply to
bitrex

He's a democrat so it's ok to suck off the public tit.

Reply to
tom

Yep :-( All that "free" stuff is ultimately going to sink the US... Obama's aim has always been to make us all "equal"... to third world countries. In educational acumen we're already there. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

I drive a car designed by American engineers, made in Detroit (which last I checked was an American city), built with American labor, with a public charging infrastructure built out by an American company and paid for by American-owned businesses and shopping plazas, with power delivered over wires owned by American utilities which are built and maintained by American labor, from power plants paid for by American investors, designed by American engineers, constructed by American labor, run by American labor, overwhelmingly fueled by natural resources sourced domestically and which employ Americans in the extraction process.

But I'm sorry for not being a real American. Hey, I think my aftermarket floor mats were from Wal-Mart and made in China. Guess you got me there.

Reply to
bitrex

I'm sure the House of Saud appreciates every dollar your gas guzzler puts in their pockets. :)

Reply to
bitrex

like something you'd want to drive.

Does it come with a manual transmission?

;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(Rock crushers rule.)

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

in

es

lt

s.

e of

Whereas Republican lobbyist delivering industry specific tax loop-holes is a American as apple pie and pork barrels.

Obama isn't intent on making everybody equal - he's merely interested in ma king the US less unequal. If he can get the level of inequality down to Sca ndinavian levels - which leaves room for quite a lot of inequality - he'd h ave done quite bit. Nobody has done better, and nobody seems to be trying to do better.

most_Always_Do_Better

The US performance in education isn't impressive. Finland does a lot better , mainly by spending more on education, and making sure that everybody gets access to good teachers. The problem with the US is that schools are funde d on a district-by-district basis, and less well-off districts have underfu nded schools.

The Germans take education pretty seriously - more Germans have some form o f tertiary education than any place else. At lot of that tertiary education is in industry specific trade schools, but German exports roughly as much as the US with roughly a quarter of the population, so they are clearly doi ng something right.

The Germans also collect more of their GDP in taxes than the US, and spend it on making the work force healthier, better trained and better fed - not an idea that appeals to Republicans.

The "free stuff" Bitrex is exploiting is aimed at weaning the US (and every body else) off the fossil fuel teat before the planet has been warmed to th e point that all the good old idea that Jim loves won't work any more. Jim-

-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson hasn't a clue about that - the denialis t propaganda that suckers John Larkin just goes over Jim's head.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to