Replace a Tweeter

I bought a pair of used Fisher STV-667 speakers. These are cabinets with a Woofer, Midrange and Tweeter, and has a built in crossover. The woofers sound good, and the mids are fine, but one of them has a bad tweeter which sounds really bad, so temporarily I just disconnected it.

These are old speakers from the early 80's, so I doubt I'd be able to find the identical replacements. Physically changing them is just a matter of finding something that fits, and is the proper ohms. But I'm wondering how critical it is, to get a speaker that will work properly with the crossover? Does it make much difference, or will the crossover work on any tweeter as long as the speaker ohms are the same?

I intend to replace the tweeter on BOTH speakers so they are matched. I was also wondering if I could use horn type tweeters rather than the paper cone type?

BTW: Is Fisher still in business? I tried fisher.com but was redirected to another site.

Thanks for all feedback.

Reply to
casey-o

Everything makes a difference. Measure the cutout. Search paper cone tweeter. Measure the ohms, or guess it's 8 ohms. If it's too loud, add series resistance. Without adding other factors, that's the approach.

You could, but I would say not.

No.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

You could do that, if you want it to sound as bad as those old tweeters always did. Or you could find a way to fit a modern Kevlar dome tweeter that will give you 10x the output and frequency range.

All speakers have terribly complex impedance graphs because of mechanical resonances. The "nominal" impedance is just that. It's unlikely your crossover does anything special except match the nominal impedance.

All speakers will vary in their efficiency, especially if you change to one that uses modern magnets. You might need to fit a resistor pad (two resisters in an L) to reduce power. Additionally, a modern speaker will have a wider frequency response, which should be irrelevant if the cross-over doesn't feed any power outside the old tweeter's range.

Clifford Heath

Reply to
Clifford Heath

It is possible that they don't have "real" crossovers, just caps to the mid and tweeter. They did that for alot of years.

If they are what I think the are, you can get better tweeters from MCM. you are not talking Infinitys here or any high end speakers. Fisher was never like that.

The tweeters that would match the best will probably cost about $6 each, if you get them from the right place. These days, MCM has some really good pr ices on woofers. Used to be woofers were expensive and tweeters were cheap. Not no more. Apparently since it is all made in China now, and the demand for woofers has changd or whatever. The market has changed. Sixty buck a pi ece woofers from twenty years ago, the equivalent is about twelve bucks now . But not for tweeters.

This is probably it :

Four bucks. If it isn't, just go to the main website and check them all out . Thing is here, you are not dealong with audiophile speakers, you have lee way. You can easily upgrade them from original.

Reply to
jurb6006