ping Win, SiC fets

Pulsers that make many kilovolts per nanosecond have been around for decades. If it was going to be easy, the customer could get it somewhere else.

If you intend to correct all my spelling and grammar mistakes, you'll need to publish another book. The Art of Grammar maybe.

lunatic fringe electronics

In Spice 1f == 1fF, 1u == 1us, etc, only the first letter is "seen". ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Sometimes between 1795 and 1960 at least as kilogram has been officially been abbreviated as kg.

Inofficially in computing uppercase K has been used to mean 1024. Thus

4 KB means 4096 bytes.
Reply to
upsidedown

kV and ns are bad, but doable I suppose. But 140 amps and ns, with MOSFETs, that's another matter. 140A/ns creates a voltage V = L di/dt = 700V of across 5nH. Consider the FET's source lead inductance carrying this high dI/dt, and the safe, controlled 10V Vgs you're trying to impose from gate to source. Ouch.

I'm doing 10A/5ns and having no problem.

Yep.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Hey, triacs are for *electrical* engineering, and we're into *electronic* engineering. But, yes, this time there's some basic info and part numbers for interfacing to triac line switches.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Oohh. Controversial territory! :->

Reply to
Gunther Heiko Hagen

The Ixys (old DEI) flat fets might work. Money might not matter here.

Less than two orders of magnitude away! I can probably reconfigure some things, like driving 75 ohms and such, and get down to 70 amps peak, now a mere factor of 7 from your case.

Can you reveal what you're using for gate drivers?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Hah, I now have 6 different versions of the board, with six different gate-driver approaches, trying to reach my 10MHz repetition-rate goal. I'm not happy with any of them. My latest scheme gives up on TO-220 driver ICs, and uses a fast recent-vintage driver. I suffer its poor thermal properties, and add NPN and PNP emitter-followers to handle some of the C V^2 f power dissipation. Note that SiC MOSFETs have 1/4 the capacitance but require twice the gate voltage, hence 4x more power killing that advantage. The dissipation is now shared by two 1812 resistors, two sot-223 BJTs and the driver IC. The latter has a heatsink.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

The Art of Jumper Cables.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Wow, I thought that war had been settled in the 1960's!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Correct. However, a capacitor marked as just 1 is interpreted as 1 farad.

And Jim is correct about meg or Meg being an appropriate multiplier.

Reply to
John S