pc motherboard grounds

The mounting holes on PC motherboards: are they usually connected to the PCB ground plane?

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

depends. Are you wearing them like you should ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

Yes.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

L thought you have been claiming to have laid out PWAs for the last several years.

This is a no brainer.

If you had ever assembled your own PC at any time, you would know the answer simply by examining the fastener/stud pack that comes with the motherboard.

Reply to
SoothSayer

Decades. When I design stuff, I always bolt the pcb ground plane to the enclosure as many places as possible. But I don't know if pc mobos sometimes/never/always do that.

OK, answer the question.

I have never assembled my own house, car, refrigerator, TV, or PC. I buy them all done and tested. I have more than enough electronics of my own to design.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

You never actually say anything with content any more. You don't even discuss circuits in any intelligent way. You've become a useless old hen.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

how is the mounting HW going to tell you if the mounting holes are connected to the internal ground planes?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

And your WORKING circuits are WHERE ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

I have seen both, probably best to take a look at the board you've got. For example, this one appears to be heavily via'd to GND as I believe it should be:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

A few are here:

Any your fast current source is where? You can't do it!

I rather liked the mosfet-bipolar cascode with Ib correction, but you didn't. What did you find wrong with it? I mean, aside from the fact that I invented it. Are you claiming that this *won't* work?

But I have a couple of better, cuter circuits by now. Show us your approach, and then I'll post a couple more of mine.

You never say anything substantive about electronics lately. You can't invent circuits any more. Go back to sci.electronics.basics where amateurs belong.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

hard to tell from the pic but I think it looks like there is isolation around the pad so it doesn't connect to the top layer, might not connect internally either

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

John Larkin Inscribed thus:

Yes, always ! Also don't use fibre washers under the screw heads.

--
Best Regards:
                          Baron.

Almost never IME. I constantly have to argue folks into doing it. Some have alternative approaches, e.g. a non-plated mounting hole surrounded by a wide pad containing a whole bunch of ground vias. That allegedly prevents the screw from damaging the plating.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

(Folks doing other sorts of boards, I mean.0

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Usually, but not always! John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

Examine the hole; the ones with 'stitched' multiple PTH around 'em are good grounds. Plated-through-hole with a mounting screw through it might get the in-hole plating damaged, so the connection to the inner vias is not otherwise reliable.

Unreliable or not, it's common practice to snap a plastic button into many (or most) of the mounting holes, and slide the buttons into slots, with only one or two mount holes (the ones near the external connectors) actually having conductive fastening hardware.

Reply to
whit3rd

Your brilliance escapes any observation. Must all be super secret stuff.

I'll simplify the question for you, Mr. Electronics.

How could you ever think that it would be isolated?

Reply to
SoothSayer

Bullshit. You could not name even a single MOBO that has isolated mount holes. It world fail to comply with the spec, and no maker ever took that chance.

You are a liar. You have NOT "seen both".

Reply to
SoothSayer

Of course they ALL are, idiot. It is called a standard, and you ain't bright enough to know that the makers had to follow one?

How did you ever get a license to use radios?

Reply to
SoothSayer

You only need to use ONE metal stud. You CAN use them all, but you can also use nylon for all BUT ONE.

They are all tied to ground, but only one needs to be to properly install it into a case.

This assumes that the case is metallic, since some are not these days.

Reply to
SoothSayer