Outside antenna to improve public WIFI reception?

Heavier wire will certainly help. #20awg is 0.010 ohms/ft. 30ft of cable is 60ft of wire or 0.6 ohms. At 0.5A, the loss is now only

0.3V. The USB dongle should work at 4.7V.

For long USB cable runs, I use CAT5e instead of the official USB cable. One pair for data, and the other 3 pairs in parallel for power. There are adapters available that make it easy: I also use CAT5e for security camera CCTV video with a balun:

I forgot to mumble something about the propagation delays. This article explains the problem:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

That's one sweet CAT5e USB cable hack (in a best sense of the word). It's sure to be used by me in the future. Some of my outside plant uses USB Cat5 transceivers. Although they mostly just work they do require a reboot every once in a while. The longest transceiver run is about forty feet, exposed to temperature extremes under the siding of a building. It draws all of the necessary USB power from the host's USB port. Neither end connects to a power adapter.

Thank you,

--
Don Kuenz, KB7RPU
Reply to

It would seem that CAT 6 cable would perform even better then.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno