OT: Win7 FireFox question

Reference: When one downloads & saves a file,one sees a grey arrow moving upwards to top of screen while fading out. Naturally, since this is Win7, there is NO CHOICE as to where the F it goes and there are NO instructions or "help" entries either. Furthermore there s NO WAY to change name of file; file "type" is ALWAYS invisible and effectively non-existent; never mind one may have dozens available and your particular file may have same name and type - so "alert" box is not that useful or illuminating.

The FIRST time i "launch" FireFox, i see that grey arrow. WHAT is being saved, and WHERE?

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

(Firefox) Tools | Options | General | Downloads Save files to or Always ask me where to save files

(Windows Explorer) Tools | Folder Options | View Hide extensions for known file types

Reply to
Don Y

Robert Baer:

-

It ain't rocket science Robert !

Get to options, general (start by clicking the parallel bars in the top right Then where it says 'Downloads' set the place you want them to go. It'll tell you where they are going now.

Have fun.

Michael Kellett.

Reply to
Michael Kellett

Or press 'ctrl j' to get a list of recent downloads with icons, ready to click or grab.

--
John
Reply to

Well that IS useful when actually saving a file. BUT. I see the ghostie arrow the first time IMMEDIATELY after i launch the browser. So, WHAT is being saved, and WHERE?

Reply to
Robert Baer

You FAILED to answer the question: IMMEDIATELY on launching that browser,i see that moving ghost arrow (and ONLY the first time during a session). WHAT is being saved, and WHERE?

Reply to
Robert Baer

That works even tho i obviously did NOT save anything? That the browser just showed the ghost moving arrow, and ONLY the FIRST time i launch it in a session?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Why do you connect Windows 7 to this issue? Have you considered the possibility that nothing is being saved? Maybe something is being loaded? I don't know because I seldom start Firefox (I leave it running for days and weeks) and never reboot Windows until I have to which is often more than a month apart.

--

Rick
Reply to

Check in c:\users\YOU\Downloads

Martin Riddle

So, you're ranting on and grabbing everyone's attention about something you didn't download but are afraid you might have? Sheesh.

--
John
Reply to

On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 21:35:54 -0700, Robert Baer Gave us:

Single click the goddamned arrow, and then right click the desired file in the drop down box that appears and select "open containing folder", idiot. It will take you there with that exact file selected and highlighted. DOH!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 00:46:19 -0400, rickman Gave us:

That is a vulnerability.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I DO NOT see it in WinXP or Win2K, so it would seem that the Win7 environment _might_ be related...

Reply to
Robert Baer

I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT MAY OR MAY NOT BE A DOWNLOAD; _read_ what i said. I want to know what the f*ck is going on.

Reply to
Robert Baer

WHAT ARROW????????????????? It starts half grey,it moves and gets fainter as it moves. In less than a second.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I don't know how to respond to such logic. I don't even get why you think a file is being saved. Have you considered asking the question in a Mozilla forum? It might help if you ask there in a nicer tone of voice.

--

Rick
Reply to

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 21:19:53 -0700, Robert Baer Gave us:

Ctrl-j

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

"Why do i think a file is being saved?" Well, for starters,whenever i save a file, i see a ghost arrow moving up to the top of the screen while simultaneously fading to nothing. The SAME visual "clue" i see when i FIRST launch FireFox. And it does not help when almost everyone either does not answer the question (because in many cases it is clear they did not READ), or they go off in nutsie left field. In your case, both situations appear to be present (did not read AND nutsie). Have i answered your OTW question?

Reply to
Robert Baer

You gave an answer, but surely you can see the fallacy in your logic. You see an arrow sometimes and assume that when you see it at other times it must indicate the same thing.

Just give it some thought and maybe the light will come on. You might also give some thought to your rudeness when you don't get the easy answer you were looking for.

You can also try my other suggestion, asking this question in the right forum... or you can continue to rant like a small child stamping your feet and holding your breath.

--

Rick
Reply to

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 21:11:36 -0700, Robert Baer Gave us:

Damn, boy! A f*****ad with an attitude like yours doesn't deserve to be given any answers, AND needs to be called the f*****ad you are.