OT: Web editor that works inside Firefox, or behaves like a browser?

Ok, guys, the topic has come up before but to this day I haven't found anything really practical. Is there a tool that can edit pages as they are (not in HTML code view) in a browser window, properly perfoem left-click link jumps _and_ save it back to disk?

None of the add-ons do that. The Web Developer toolbar is nice but you can only edit in full "nerd mode" with all the source code in view. Not my cup of tea. NVU comes closest but that right-click of links into new tabs is a bit cumbersome, after a while there is a flurry of open tabs.

It's to add to wiki-style files. MS-Word 2000 is about the only program that can actually do this (MS does some things right) but it can't go on the web.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

If by "save back to disk" you mean submit the text as an HTTP post for a wiki-server to save to disk, you should look for "tinymce".

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

(not in HTML code view)

aka WYSIWYG

Nope.

Nope. You have to make a choice: Browse -OR- edit; you can't do both at the same time in the same window.

These *is* an easy way to do this. (I thought you used the Mozilla Suite at some point.)

Using the suite (now called SeaMonkey), open the page in the browser.

Now, open the same page in the Editor. (The Gecko suite allows both concurently.) You can switch at will among modes: Preview (WYSIWYG), Source, and Tags.

To actually USE the page you have to SAVE it.

At that point, go to the open browser window, do a Refresh (F5) and click to your heart's content. . .

If you are forced to create pseudo-HTML with an M$ app, use HTML-Tidy to clean that up.

*-*-*-*-*-Word'97-*-*-*+free+*-*-*-*-fix-*-mistakes-automatically+bulks.out.HTML.*+*-hard-to-read-*+fix-*-*-*-*-*-problems+*.*.sloppy.editing+things-*-you-need-to-work-on+can-*-perform-wonders+HTML-*-from-Microsoft-Word-*&strip=1

Reply to
JeffM

Thanks, Clifford, will check it out. I just hope it's not some "high nerd factor" SW that needs to be babied a lot ;-)

If anyone else is interested, it's here:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Dang. I'd write my own but I am not a SW guy.

Well, the old MS-Word 2000 can do that. Just not on the web, plus I don't have an extra license for this PC and the new versions aren't that hot anymore in that respect.

I used to work with Mozilla but went to TB and Firefox. The Mozilla editor was ok but it has a serious drawback. It does not jump hyperlinks when clicking on them. It's tough working on wiki-style files without.

*-*-*-*-*-Word'97-*-*-*+free+*-*-*-*-fix-*-mistakes-automatically+bulks.out.HTML.*+*-hard-to-read-*+fix-*-*-*-*-*-problems+*.*.sloppy.editing+things-*-you-need-to-work-on+can-*-perform-wonders+HTML-*-from-Microsoft-Word-*&strip=1

So far it did a pretty good job. I did the web site below with it. No frills, but then again I don't want no frills :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg wrote:

I assume you mean it *looks* OK to the naked eye.

There's a lot of non-HTML mixed in with the valid code:

123 Errors

I suggest you try the cleanup tool.

Reply to
JeffM

*-*-*-*-*-Word'97-*-*-*+free+*-*-*-*-fix-*-mistakes-automatically+bulks.out.HTML.*+*-hard-to-read-*+fix-*-*-*-*-*-problems+*.*.sloppy.editing+things-*-you-need-to-work-on+can-*-perform-wonders+HTML-*-from-Microsoft-Word-*&strip=1

Oops!

Sound like a good idea now. Thanks! Strange thing is people have read that with all kinds of browsers and never had any problems. The only issue ever was with one of the pages and IE, seems MS-Word and MS-Explorer never really like each other.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

*-*-*-*-*-Word'97-*-*-*+free+*-*-*-*-fix-*-mistakes-automatically+bulks.out.HTML.*+*-hard-to-read-*+fix-*-*-*-*-*-problems+*.*.sloppy.editing+things-*-you-need-to-work-on+can-*-perform-wonders+HTML-*-from-Microsoft-Word-*&strip=1

I've got _only_ 17 "errors"... looks like all are syntactical things that only programmers like to gripe about... declarations.

I use an old copy of FrontPage 98 and, like you, zero complaints about readability, so I don't sweat it.

...Jim Thompson

  My simulation, struggling to converge, is telling me something
    Maybe my idea of a ring of current mirrors is flawed ?:-)

On a sunny day (Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:36:48 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Not to worry, Joerg, that vakidator site did not even want to start on my website, giving cryptic hickups. As there have been zillions of hits, and thousands of downloads, I'd say the validator needs validating.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

validator needs

Yeah, sometimes I also get that impression. I've used another validation site last year and no errors.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

validator needs

Just tried it on CNN.com,

Result: 46 Errors, 36 warning(s) Now they have a lot of traffic, and people would complain if it did not work. That is it with that 'validator' for me.

Reply to
panteltje

validator needs

Weird. What I do after web page changes is to try them out with half a dozen browsers, including some really old ones. If it all works I leave it alone, else I figure out what makes it hang.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Don't use MS-Word to make HTML!!!!!!!!!

It produces the crappiest, buggiest, bloated, lousy excuse for HTML in the entire known universe.

People who use MS-Word to make a "web page", who then post it on the net, don't deserve visitors to their site.

Just use notepad and

.

Here's a representative header:

Title

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yeah but I need WYSIWYG, not write some code. Plus something to be able to hop hyperlinks where the target page then opens in the same window (_not_ in a new tab or window) _and_ be able to write stuff down. MS-Word can do both. Most fancy HTML WYSIWYG editors cannot, beats me why.

I wanted to try Amaya again but the only download site that works is in France and carries only a new beta which freezes up the minute I want to access a file on the LAN server.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

No! That can't be. It's from MICROSOFT-- the world's *most profitable* software company. 8-(

Old joke for Rich: Q: Why are you hitt>Yeah but I need WYSIWYG,

Yup. Using stone knives and bear skins

is unnecessary.

Again, for Rich: What Joerg already tried (Nvu, IIUC) can switch back & forth from Source mode to WYSIWYG mode

--if *that* was what he wanted.

Not the *only* one:

Registrant City:Cambridge [MA] Registrant Country:US

Put this in your bag of tricks for next time:

(Scroll down to the 60 percent mark.) Download to your heart's content.

Reply to
JeffM

Well, that plus hyperlink browsing without creating a flurry of new tabs or windows.

Thanks, but that's the W3C site and teh problem persists: Download gets to 197kB or 1%, then stalls.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg wrote:

Filtering further, that still leaves 15 other candidates

--if you can live with an slightly older version (or maybe if you look more thoroughly than I did, you can find a non-alpha 5.x).

The http site I went to got past 300kB before I aborted the download.

JeffM

Well, I am a bit picky when it comes to download sites. I trust most universities but they are usually Linux-centric. Older version is fine and there is no rush so I'll try again in a week.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yep. I know, because I sometimes use MS Word 2000.

I wrote this page in MS Word 2000:

Checking it with:

I get 380 assorted errors. Probably easier to start from scratch than to fix all the MS Word generated crud.

Demorniser to the (partial) rescue:

Written by John Walker, former prez of Autodesk. Unfortunately, it doesn't remove all the bloat the Word adds.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Y'think? CNN is one of the most-bitched-about sites:

Haven't you been paying attention to the threads here about how "Web developers" don't give a rat's ass what you think about their crappy sites? (Their bosses too, it appears.)

There is no guarantee that non-standard pages which work in a browser today will work in that "same" browser after its next update if the pseudo-HTML gets interpreted differently.

Reply to
JeffM