OT Tunnel 6

he doesn't seem to like it that I don't consider it my job in life to white-knight for all other white people. It's an unrewarding field to work in IMO

Reply to
bitrex

Just found this at the local bookstore, which has a lot of regional stuff:

I've just started it, and it's really good so far.

One problem in reconstructing their history is that thousands of literate Chinese worked on the railroad, and sent hundreds of thousands of letters home, but no original letters or diaries or any other 1st person accounts have ever been found.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

No, I'm just amused that so many white people can't get over being white, and seem obsessed by it. Guilty too.

Here in California, white is just another shade on the hardware store paint sample card. Maybe a third of the people in my company are white-white.

Which reminds me to pick up a paint sample thing. I need an off-white to touch up some patches in the upstairs bathroom.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I don't know what "get over being white" means - would I want to be hispanic or black instead if offered? Not very likely, straight white men tend to have had it pretty easy relatively speaking. why would I not prefer things easier rather than harder

Reply to
bitrex

written on cheap paper of that kind that yellows and crumbles to dust after ~100 years, maybe.

Some letters my father wrote home on V-Mail stationary from 1944 and

1945 have survived with very little degradation, the stationary was high quality.
Reply to
bitrex

When I was a kid, in New Orleans, there were basically two races, black and white. Black weren't allowed in white restaurants or hotels or schools or neighborhoods. Drinking fountains had WHITES ONLY signs. Blacks had to sit in the back of the bus. Oddly enough, I had some Chinese friends. The first time I had Mexican food was in Aspen.

I attended the first high school to be integrated in Louisiana. Three little black girls and a dozen FBI agents showed up first day. The girls were warmly welcomed, especially by the Jewish kids. Jews and blacks were allies back then.