OT: Tailgaters, Pt. 2

Trouble is, if they can't get insurance, a goodly number of them will just drive uninsured, which is a worse result for the innocent parties when the driver at fault is not worth suing because they have no assets to speak of.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Ha! I saw a car in that last week. It didn't strike me (ho ho) as camouflage in broad daylight, I presumed the "sticky-backed plastic" was holding dodgy metalwork together.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Driving with the legal minimum liability insurance *is* driving uninsured. It'll barely pay for the average car or maybe a Band-Aid in the ER.

Reply to
krw

I know where the other driver lives. I know they ain't hurting for cash, given that every home in that area is lakefront property in one of the most affluent towns in the state.

She just wrecked too many people's cars for any of the insurance companies to take her via standard business practices.

Reply to
bitrex

You'll have to go after her, personally. AFAIK, assigned risk pools are only minimal insurance. You'll probably have to collect from your insurance (assuming you have collision and uninsured motorist or no fault, or whatever) and have them try to get it out of her.

Reply to
krw

given that every home in that area is >lakefront property in one of the mo st affluent towns in the >state. "

That doesn't make her collectable. You need to see deeds to houses n shit l ike that. It could be mortgaged to the hilt, she could be just renting it o r even just using the address for mail.

In most states, if you sue for more than the limits of the insurance and wi n, they do not drive until they pay you the difference, or for seven years. At least in Ohio that is how long it takes. Or if there are no injuries th ey can file bankruptcy, but if there are ...

And I had this done to me. If there is an injury you put in the complaint t hat it was willful and malicious. Then they have to show up and they can be questioned about how they make their money and then they could likely beco me collectable. If they default, they can never file bankruptcy on it and w ill not only never drive again, will never buy a house or rent apartments w here they do credit checks, never get certain jobs. And remember, no bankru ptcy, even when you die and they live, there are things they will never do again.

Until they pay. They HAVE to go to court. If you word the complaint right, they just give up too many rights to not to.

Reply to
jurb6006

When I was in Manhattan a while back I was surprised to see a lot of bicycles, both pedaled and powered. Most of the time traffic moves so slow it would be hard to hit anything accidentally.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I got whacked in the rear once and the body shop didn't catch the bent body. Some time later I got a flat as I was exiting the highway and found the rear tire was worn out to the steel belts, but only along the very inner edge of the tire that you can't see very easily when checking. Never got the frame fixed and the car died on its own not too long after.

--

Rick C
Reply to

sometimes I turn on my fog lights, maybe makes them think I'm a crazy...

Jasen Betts

Preferably it wouldn't get to that point. Hopefully I can get what I want out of either my insurance company, or the other, but I'm going to try all avenues of first telling the companies "You've given me a shitty lowball offer, but what I want is this. Can you make it happen?"

I'm not asking for much in the grand scheme of things :)

Reply to
bitrex