OT(sorry) XP boot CD

My video editing PC has died again, twice in a month or so. It's in the endless safe mode start up / reboot loop.

I've been browsing the micro$oft site trying to find an Recovery CD image, but all I seem to find is boot floppies, or clean install CD tools. (I dont have a floppy drive anywhere in my house)

Any suggestions/ url for a favorite rescue CD image.

The PC boots fine off a Knoppix linux CD, so methinks it's another hard drive bathtub curve failure.

Please dont tell me to repair it via linux, thats way over my head.

Back to some more googling

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

"martin griffith" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Some of the Windows XP CDs have a recovery mode where you can repair boot sector, harddisc, etc.

Rune

Reply to
Rune Christensen

I'm not an XP guru, but I trust what Leo Laporte says and Leo says that you cannot reinstall over an existing XP install.

If I was asking around for Windoze tricks, I'd ask here:

. . Knoppix is a general-purpose live-CD distro.

There are live CDs specifically for recovery:

It seems to me, you want to become familiar with the command dd (disk dump) to back up any data that's not backed up, then it's a clean install of XP.

Reply to
JeffM

I forgot about an old bookmark I have:

JeffM

dd, it is a long time since I used that

thanks

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

google for "BartPE" (I love it!)

Reply to
H. Brueggemann

...or go to my links for a discussion (and alternatives).

Reply to
JeffM