OT: "Parental" Control

We have a 12 year old granddaughter visiting for the month of July.

Pretty good kid, except for a severe case of Jewish Princess (literally ;-)

She's got this iPad (whatever) and she convinced me to add a wireless router (which I would otherwise have absolutely no use for :-)

Any way for me to automate it quitting about 9PM at night until 9 the following morning.

I know I can just unplug it, which she'll notice. So I'm looking for some program which would "do the deed" >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Something like an error message, "Unable to connect, server time-out", would be delightful >:-} ...Jim Thompson

You need to ask her how.

:)

Reply to
tm

Most wireless routers today have that built in. Which model/make is it?

Martin Riddle

Medialink MWN-WAPR150N

Works well thru multiple intervening walls. ...Jim Thompson

You can setup a Client Filter for Internet access, see page 98 IF there are no other computers connected to the router, then you can use the address range from 0 to 255.

Make sure your time settings are correct. Page 106. THe router should do a NTP lookup and sync its clock for the correct time in your time zone. Otherwise, it looks like you can manually set the time.

Martin Riddle

How about the low tech approach. :)

Put an Ethernet switch between the WiFi access point and the house network. Plug the power cord for the switch into a clock timer. Adjust clock timer.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.
Reply to

Just be honest. The house has a "no wireless after 9:00" rule. Say so, and make sure you win the argument.

I'd reward an early wake-up time by plugging it in at 6:00, though.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

A Christmas light timer.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Plug the router's wall wart into a timer. That's what I did when mine was in that stage. No muss, no fuss, it simply stops at the programmed time. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Tim, You don't know how refreshing it is to see what you wrote. I was a technical high school teacher for a long time. I can't tell you how many meetings I attended discussing how to prevent certain behavior.

How can we fix this, was asked. When I replied, "Fix the kids." I was looked at like I had 3 eyes.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

yeh, don't remember where I read it but:

"You cannot fix sociological problems with technology. You can only mask them."

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

You should be able to set it on your main router to block WAN access by the wireless router.

Mine has a feature called schedules..

Schedules: List of Available Schedules

Schedules define the timeframes under which firewall rules may be applied.

Name: Name of the schedule for identification and management purposes Days: The days when the schedule is active. Start Time: The start time for the schedule End Time: The end time for the schedule. The actions that can be taken on schedules are: (Check Box At First Column Header): Selects all the schedules in the table. Edit: Opens the Schedule Configuration page, to edit the selected schedule.

It's flexible enough to set different times on different days of the week and that sort of thing.

I also set up the NNTP server so the router always knows the correct time.

The older router that this one just replaced (an ancient DI604) had a similar feature without the indirection of using a schedule (you just set the time frame for each rule within the rule).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

They had an honest "Facebook blocked" policy at my kid's school. The kids rapidly learned how to use proxies.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The Medialink has a time-based blocking feature. But the granddaughter and I have come to "agreement" >:-} ...Jim Thompson

LMAO

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Sure it is... we're quite the ecumenical family, Christmas tree, Hanukkah bush, menorah, multi-religion/non-religion, Catholics, Jews, various protestant flavors, and some Hispanics (*) who can't speak Spanish... though several of my children do, and the Hispanic grandchildren are taking college-level Spanish courses ;-)

(*) Second and third generation of immigrants from Mexico... unusual parents (by today's standards)... insisted the children speak English, even at home >:-}

A funny thing... children of all flavors laugh, smile and give me hugs the very same way. ...Jim Thompson

NOT Jewish compatible...

Reply to
Robert Baer

(untested)

Put a BJT across the orange (or green) pair on the cat-5 cable and bias it on when you want to take the net off-line ethernet is isolated at both ends so you can use a grouded supply if you want.

green -----------------+---------- | / ______ | enable -----[10K]--| BC547 | \| ~| | ground -----[10K]----+ | | green-white ----------+----------

For the supply I'd use a serial port RTS pin (and add a diode to block the negative voltages it can produce) the software to drive it would consist of a personal crontab line like

0 9 * * * sleep 12h < /dev/ttyS0

On linux you need group "dialout" to open the serial port.

something similar in result, if not design can probably be arranged on windows without too much effort.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Well, learning how to bypass Jim's ever-more-inventive ways to block their wireless access would be contributing to the kid's education!

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com