OT: Does this style of cookie manager exist?

Does this style of cookie manager exist?

To me an ideal cookie manager would do this...

Accept cookies when I visit a page, but delete when I leave the page, _except_ for those I designate that I want to keep, like banks, credit card companies, drug store, etc.

I've surfed for such an animal but not found one. Does something like this exist? ...Jim Thompson

I have some kind of such on the Lenovo put up just now.

It's a cookie destruct or evaporate as I recall.

You get a cookie, then a couple minutes later a flag appears in the upper right saying cookie destructed.

So yeah, it exists. I clear my home directory caches as well for Java-script that clamtk doesn't like in heuristic.

Reply to
Wayne Chirnside

Sounds like what I'm looking for. Can you determine its program name?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

Firefox "cookie controller" add-on seems to work great for me.

You can default to not allow any cookies, or whitelist to allow for sites to set during session and forget after, or whitelist for completely normal operation.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Maybe this?...

...Jim Thompson

May be rigged...

...Jim Thompson

I can't see any such behaviour, My list of cookies only contains ones I have whitelisted, plus ones for sites I have open right now. Been using it a few weeks. I suspect the report is erronious although can't be sure I suppose. Certainly behaviour is as I would expect, for example sites revisited always display the legally required "cookie notice" as if the visit is for the first time. Newspaper sites no longer turn paywall after a few visits like they used to. Google has not put itself onto the whitelist etc.

In short it works fine for me.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

OK. I do note a lot of paranoia on the web... for instance the Eudora group went ballistic when I opined that I installed Eudora outside of Program Files... claiming all kinds of security issues... bah humbug

BTW, Eudora Pro v7.1.0.9 works just ducky under Win7 that way! ...Jim Thompson

Oh you are right to be paranoid... It would not have enormously surprised me but it still looks OK to me, I only saw that one report and it seems pretty popular.

Windows and malware are pretty much synonyms. I am using it on linux but there is enough overlap in the case of firefox - due to the high usage on windows - that you still have to be careful.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I'm using CookieCuller, which I think does almost what you want: it deletes all cookies on exit (from Firefox, not from the page) except for the ones that you manually protect. But I've just noticed it hasn't been updated for years, so maybe someone else in this thread will suggest something newer and/or better for both of us.

Random numbers should not be generated with a method chosen at random.
                                                      --- Donald Knuth
Reply to
Adam Funk

I already have No-Script in place and auto-Flash-player is disabled. ...Jim Thompson

Why limit? What about all of those URLs visited as the browser rendered the page? Fer eggzample doubleclick, akami, etc?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Well,the Baby Bird (Goo Gull) is rather snoopy...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Use a browser that supports profiles, and use a different profile for your "serious" usage.

Or use an OS that supports multiple users, and run the "serious" browser as a separate user.

Reply to
David Brown

On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 11:36:06 +0100, David Brown Gave us:

Good response. I'd go for version two.

And since Windows allows multiple logins and switching between them, it is not all that labor intensive either, so Jimmy boy shouldn't cry too much.

Now it only comes down to whether or not he has the common sense and logic filters to see this as the right solution.

Of course me weighing in stating that it is the way to go will taint the idiot's capacity to 'see' the answer right in front of his face.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 13:07:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@daqarta.com (Bob Masta) Gave us:

In firefox, it is called "new private window". So it is not even a "tab" on your current window, which should help to remind you what the window's purpose for being segregated was.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Another option is to use your browser's "private browsing" mode when visiting sites where you don't want to be tracked. As far as I know, all browsers have this option, though some may call it "incognito", etc. (Tested Opera, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Explorer.)

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v8.00 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter Frequency Counter, Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI FREE 8-channel Signal Generator, DaqMusiq generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

You should have posted what browser you are using.

Reply to
default

Works fabulously! Thanks for the tip! ...Jim Thompson

:)

--

John Devereux
Reply to