Navy Railgun Is Kaput

+1
Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Who let our friggin enemies on the net to start with, and why didn't we put chop chop kill protection on those trunk lines. North Korea should simply have their physical hooks chopped off. done What? They got satellite(s)?

Let them eat (local) modem data rates.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I bet you just love gigabuck destroyers.

Reply to
krw

Or an airplane.

Reply to
krw

Bullets are fast and you can store a lot of them in a small space. Nuclear missiles are a bit of a problem.

Less so, if they don't work.

Reply to
krw

When you need either, the cost doesn't matter much.

Reply to
krw

Anti-tank weapons are kinetic kill so they'll do a real number on spindly aircraft.

Reply to
krw

Variations on the old-fashioned chemical-powered mass driver concept seem to hit the right balance of cost, performance, and reliability so well that it makes it a very difficult technology to radically improve on.

My girlfriend had a mouse problem in her home and tried several more modern inventions before finally and reluctantly resorting to "the classic" trap design. She no longer has a mouse problem.

Reply to
bitrex

It's probably true, all but the cost part. If rail guns were demonstrably better in the other areas, cost wouldn't matter.

A cat would do the job without her having to empty traps. A cat moves in, mice move out.

Reply to
krw

No. The cats bring in live mice to play with and then lose them. They also bring in dead mice as presents for the dog.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

That's rather unusual. Of all the cats we've had only one broth 'em back alive.

Mice won't live where there is a cat on the prowl.

Reply to
krw

But how? We (or the western world) do not control what's in and out of North Korea, unless we cut off China and Russia. Or they do to NK.

All NK need is a friendly spot to proxy and forward on the net.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

-railgun-may-be-dead/

,

missiles and airplanes?

h might be

not. For

.

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I put my foot down when they started bringing chipmunks in to play with. We've now got a cat door that swings only out, except in winter.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

te:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

And if that doesn't work out, try this:

Reply to
whit3rd

Looks like it might be humane, but I don't know if there's a guarantee with that design (strangulation isn't very humane.) Additional advantage of "the classic" is that there's so much stored energy associated with the spring driving the kill bar that it pretty much assures the process is quick and humane.

Reply to
bitrex

e:

vy-railgun-may-be-dead/

ck,

se missiles and airplanes?

ich might be

e not. For

'd

on.

the point was that it was made from a design in a book from 1590 and quite effective

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

John Larkin wrote on 1/5/2018 3:42 PM:

It's always pretty amusing when Larkin wades into a domain he knows little about and tells the world they are doing it wrong.

I wonder if the Chinese have the same Congressional payoffs that he thinks we do?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

I had the same problem, I got a cat.