Lenovo Laptop Batteries

Anyone lurking here have issues with Lenovo Laptop batteries? ...Jim Thompson

Not Lenovo, but with BT replacement batteries for my Gateway. It over heats then shuts down, when the processor is full bore.

Martin Riddle

Last time I had a "battery problem" there was nothing wrong with the battery at all. It just had a badly designed electrical connection with the computer. Any wiggle in the battery, even less than a millimeter, would break contact. A mechanical problem, in other words.

Reply to
Michael Robinson

I'm using a Thinkpad X40. I've had it for 6, maybe 7 years now, cannot remember exactly. I'm on my 2nd battery. First battery finally got to the point where I had about 45 minutes run time. Got a new one on Amazon. No major problems with either of them.

My Mac Book Pro battery, that's a horse of a different color...

--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, Tx.

My X61s is odd... very little battery use, keep it off charger pretty much to avoid that killer-mode, yet original battery died just after warranty ran out, second battery died abruptly at 2 years. ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

My use is similar. In a docking station for weeks between customer visits. When I go on the road I will usually make sure and run the battery down before I plug in the charger. My setup is a docking station under a monitor stand so I run the X40 with the lid closed most of the time. Noticed it was running rather warm, almost hot. I put a small fan to move some of the heat out.

Now I did have a Dell laptop that I was running on a charger without a UPS. The battery died after a nasty thunder storm. Dont know if the battery just hit it's life end or the lightening had something to do with it. I now run any laptop on a UPS.

--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, Tx.

Same here.

Likewise.

Maybe it's just a LiIon thing ?:-(

I've been considering a UPS for the laptop as well.

I already have a UPS on the phone system :-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

liIon's life can be expected to be about a year or 2. They age from the day they are made, so if you get an old pack it'll die early.

They also age faster if they are fully charged. Best to keep them at %70 state of charge. And they age faster at higher temperatures.

Theres a wealth of information scattered about on the aging process.

Martin Riddle

Keep them cool, a good system shouldn't overcharge them. LiIon wear out even without any use (unless something's improved since I researched them about five years ago). About three years if you're lucky.

UPS would be good, if it's a quality one that conditions the line voltage, maybe runs load from inverter fulltime?

Me too, an old standard phone next to the cordless base station ;)

Not running UPS here, got enough batteries around to provide power, but little incentive since power fails so rarely here.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

This is the only article of the thread on my server. Thompson seems to do this to Individual.

My ThinkPad normally lives in a docking station and has been fine. Both my son's (the previous inhabitant of the dock) and my wife's have very weak batteries. Both normally use theirs with the brick and not often on battery. They are three and four years old (mine's coming up on three, also).

My T61's batteries are useless as a UPS. Whenever the power glitches the thing crashes. Since Lenovo bought the PC division ThinkPads have gone into the dumper. My wife's ThinkPad just lost its fingerprint scanner, too. After owning three ThinkPads, I doubt I'll buy another one but I have no idea what would be better. It seems all PCs are crap now.

Reply to
krw

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

LiIon life (even shelf life) goes down exponentially with voltage. I've 10-year old cells stored at 3.6-3.7V that are like new (impedance & capacity). Colder storage extends life too, IIRC. You have to be careful though--3.6V is nearly empty, and if you forget and let them drop below ~3v, they're toast.

OTOH if you keep them at 4.2V (full), cycled or no, in two years they're dead.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

do

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

annot

got to

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

h my

ttery.

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

he

=A0After

hat

Maybe a Government Motors solar / bio / pedal-powered green computer? They promise to save or create 3 jobs for each one sold.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Built to a price? I think IBM sold thinkpad 'cos they couldn't compete and keep their quality standards as well.

Try running your laptop off 12V SLA while at home? Via a DC/DC converter if required. Remove the LiIon so it's not being cooked while lappy at home?

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Ya' think Obama will buy me one? ...at least a program for laptop clunkers?

He's not lying about JSoC. Washington is booming.

Reply to
krw

Actually, the PC division was losing money (never made any, in fact) and the only thing worth selling was the ThinkPad line. The deal was that they had to take the rest.

SLA? You mean SLACs in a UPS? I'm certainly considering it. We get a lot of power drops here.

Reply to
krw

Sealed lead acid, more common these days are valve regulated SLA which operate under higher pressure/vacuum. What's a SLAC?

But yeah, like the batteries inside the UPS, but without the up to mains and back to DC conversions, but if you need dc-dc that may be okay?

But something running from the battery, not the dirty mains, that's the main point. Battery charger can withstand the mains rubbish.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

After

Same - Sealed Lead Acid Cells (Gate's original name - not "gell cells").

Won't work. Apparently the thing that confuses the power management is the dock cycling. I need the mains conversion to keep it going.

But the dock can't.

Reply to
krw

battery.

After

No answer, apart from hacking the dock -- you don't want to go there...

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

cannot

battery.

After

what

I don't think it's the dock. It's something in the power management software in the ThinkPad itself. My T60 didn't have any problems. Well, once in a while it would lose the USB ports, which is bad enough.

Reply to
krw

s the

into

oo. =A0After

a what

kers?

I don't see why not, as long as you smash it first and dunk it in acid to make sure no one else could possibly use it.

Created or saved...what's that in NewSpeak? Cresaved?

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat