Lenovo to Pay for Installing Adware

Lenovo to pay $7.3m for installing adware in 750,000 laptops

s/ [1]

Surprise, surprise. Not that they were doing it (I had one of their machin es) but that they settled, although they didn't admit knowledge. Of course it is likely they made more money off the adware than the settlement. The only problem for Lenovo is that this comes out of this years budget while the profits were five years ago.

Rick C.

Tesla referral code -

gnuarm.deletethisbit

[1]

This is a big profit for Lenovo - they get paid a lot for installing adware on their machines, and will have earned a good deal more than the fine. I don't think it is as bad on recent ones as it used to be, however. And if this now means they will stop installing the demoware, adware, and other crapware, then that's good for everyone.

Reply to
David Brown

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

No shit, you dippy dingledorf.

Ummm... nope. Some companies utilies all of the aspects of the current, hottest Intel chipset, and some fudge features to get a new mobo up and running and do not concentrate on a robust user experience.

A similar set of bullshit companies rose up doing that with the Nvidia chips. They had vid cards with it, but they barely used the available feature set of the chip they incorporated, whereas companies like EVGA nearly ALWAYS used the full feature set NVidia made available in a given series release.

So, the right statement would be "Some companies make fast PCs and some companies make barely functional shit PCs they claim are fast due to a simple claock rate number."

Ummm... nope. My $7000 mobile workstation is worth every penny of the $3400 I paid for it, and will be for years to come. Whereas your shit 'cheaper model' will take 6 times as long to perform the same task, and with 3-D CAD engineering tasks that time differential matters. And the money you think you saved buying that POS will be lost in lost labor time. I guess it would matter if your time was actually worth anything.

A notebook is technically a PC and is faster than many were back in the day, yet still slow by your perceived 'today's standards'.

My notebook works great for what I use it for.

Yeah, that must be why it was the only brand the government used for the longest time.

Essentially...

You're a goddamned idiot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You're a goddamned idiot. Note that remark is not about your post, diupshit. It is about your content. I do not expect a 20 IQ dumbfuck like you to get it though.

I've got nine inches of crybaby to go up in your pissy bitch little girl ass with, f*****ad.

You're a pissy little bitch, goddamned idiot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I have a Lenovo Ideapad, it's a pretty good machine for the price I paid, about $550 for a 15" display and dual core i7, 8 gig RAM, discrete GPU with 2 gig VRAM, 1TB spinning rust and DVD/RW drive. Solid inexpensive workhorse machine, first thing I do is wipe the drive and install Linux heh f*ck 'em.

Reply to
bitrex

Oh gee, I wonder what has changed...??? Oh yeah, they started making crap!!!

You posted the info that clearly shows you are wrong. Who's the idiot now?

Rick C.

Tesla referral code ++

gnuarm.deletethisbit

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

It hasn't changed, dipshit. They are still in use and still requisitioned, as are other brands for other purposes.

You really are thick.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You are, because in your wee wittle bwain, you actually think you said something significant.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

bitrex wrote in news:IH_ND.368001$ snipped-for-privacy@fx28.iad:

Not too bright, considering that one can boot just about ANY Linux from an externally attached SSD.

I can run many things under many operating systems without futzing around with my existing installed system. Been doing it that way for years. I'd run my Windows that way if it supported it.

I feel that is how a computer should be run. One carries their personally licensed OS on their personal drive with them, and they run it on an HD free community system.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:6ddecde7-3b32-42d8-a524- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

HP and Dell? I agree.

So who is making the best laptops, smartass?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I'd do that but I don't use Windows for anything work-related. I have one older desktop machine with 10 installed for multitrack audii recording, Windows seems to be the standard for software like that it's one area where Linux doesn't have as good hardware/software support, they don't make e.g. a version of Cubase for the OS and WINE support for software like that is dubious.

I like Xubuntu the best, its performance even on a 5400 RPM spinning-rust laptop drive with solid-state cache is impressive.

Most laptops have a SD card slot and 64 gig SD cards with high transfer speeds aren't that expensive, should be possible to install a copy of Win 10 Pro off one of them for occasional use.

I like the mini-itx form factor a lot, you can get mini-itx mobos with several mPCIe slots and stick an mPCIe SSD in each one, each with a different OS as you like. I may try that for my next build. Tower cases are so 1990s

Reply to
bitrex

That's hard to say, but it is easy to know that Lenovo makes the worst!

Rick C.

Tesla referral code ---

gnuarm.deletethisbit

bitrex wrote in news:u5xOD.782086$ snipped-for-privacy@fx02.iad:

As often as Windows writes to a drive, I doubt seriously that running it from a flash drive would be a hugely problematic venture. Especially since it is not supported.

Reply to
DLUNU