interesting video

Rapidly moving objects move smoothly, but the clouds are only updated about every two seconds. Is this some super-smart video compression thing?

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I don't see any video there

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

o=16:9

One thing for sure that's not super smart is joining that caravan of zombie s who spend all day taking the lift to the top of the hill, using skis to c ome back down, taking the lift back up, etc etc etc. Beyond amazing they're all walking around like they have a purpose.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Reply to
bill.sloman

Modern video-encoding software only encodes pixels that change

There are quite a few variants. It has been around for a while.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It's enormous fun. But you don't do fun.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Evidently they don't have night skiiing there. Where is that ?

Here's some interesting webcams. The kind where they didn't change the default credentials. I like some of the Chinese cams that look into some fo the businesses, sometimes electronics work.

boB

atio=16:9

bies who spend all day taking the lift to the top of the hill, using skis t o come back down, taking the lift back up, etc etc etc. Beyond amazing they 're all walking around like they have a purpose.

It's also an excellent - if expensive - way of wrecking your joints and bre aking bones.

If you need to be able to demonstrate that you have little interest in self

-preservation, and money to burn, it's a pretty good way of exhibiting both traits.

Grown-ups don't bother.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I bet you never go for a walk or a run either - because you'd just end up back where you started. Never mind dancing, what a waste of energy that is, when you could be sitting still whining to someone about how dull and unnecessary life is instead.

Skiing is a branch of dancing. The mountain is your partner, ever surprising and challenging.

Reply to
clifford.heath

Skiing is a branch of flying.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 3:56:09 PM UTC+11, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wro te:

back where you started.

I did give up running to get fit when one of my intervertebral disks used i t as an excuse to rupture, which was good for six weeks of discomfort and v ery limited mobility. I kept on playing field hockey (of a sort) for anothe r twenty years).

With skiing the cost-benefit balance is lot less attractive.

ting still whining to someone about how dull and unnecessary life is instea d.

Whatever turns you on. Whining has never struck me as a useful way of spend ing my time.

ing and challenging.

But rather more lethal than most human partners, and less accessible.

Dancing has never appealed to me much. Getting around the hockey field - in field hockey - exploits much the same muscles but is rather more goal-dire cted activity. There's incidental aesthetic appeal in some of the evolution s but poncing around with the sole aim of looking good doesn't appeal.

Narcissists have different priorities.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

With a rather higher incidence of crash-landings than regular aviation.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

d up back where you started. Never mind dancing, what a waste of energy tha t is, when you could be sitting still whining to someone about how dull and unnecessary life is instead.

rising and challenging.

Can't recall when I last had a proper crash. Over a decade ago though... an d I don't ski slowly. My buddy was on the Australian Downhill team in the O lympics, and I have to wait for him (he has slowed down as his eyesight has got worse). I'm a bit reluctant to jump of the big kickers these days thou gh... 10m jumps off a 2m lip is about my limit, and no rotations.

Reply to
clifford.heath

It is surprisingly difficult to break bones with modern equipment. When I started safety bindings were optional and boots were leather laceups. You saw someone in the blood bath at least once a day.

Nowadays it is relatively easy to wreck soft tissue, especially that in "God's mistake", the knee.

But it is fun, the dangers are controllable (except for other drunk skiers) but cannot be completely eliminated. I once watch a local man slide 100 yards, hit a water cannon, and die.

My daughter watching that was a useful lesson about real life.

Nowadays I'm too grown up; I snap rather than spring :(

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Not any more.

It used to be with leather laceup boots, long skis, and no piste machines. Then you had to put conscious effort into planning your route through vicious moguls.

Nowadays people can use raw power to get them down a slope.

Analogy: sailboats vs power boats, or gliders vs light aircraft, it is seduction vs coercion.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

up

is,

ising

Yep, you can tell who learnt to ski properly and who didn't. Done properly, there's no excessive force, it's graceful, controlled by tiny shifts in yo ur centre of gravity, like moving your weight around by about 6 inches (hee l to toe, foot to foot). So I don't really agree with your analogy. Equipme nt is forgiving, but good technique still stands out.

Reply to
clifford.heath

I was never graceful; people could spot me a mile away - literally!

Knowing stem-christies was a key to staying safe in adverse conditions. I hated ski schools that went more or less directly from snowploughs to parallel turns.

My teaching my daughter how and when to use a stem christie paid dividends and increased her confidence :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I've only taught a few people to ski, but they went straight to parallels in the first hour. Skiing well is much easier if you never learn the stem christie. It took me 25 years to unlearn it, and I'm not sure it's entirely out of my system now.

BTW sorry about using Gogle Gropes. I'm tethering because the ADSL is down and my normal newsreader is unavailable.

Clifford H.

Reply to
clifford.heath

The critical USP of the stem christie is that it is the turn that will get you off the hill in any conditions - ice, powder, slush, breakable crust (possibly), whiteouts, between trees, tired, injured, etc.

I've used it in all those conditions, with skis which are head height and which are 15" longer. (I remember having to fight to get "small" skis, i.e. the same height as me!)

Neither the snowplough nor parallel turns could be used in those conditions.

As for teaching someone, my preference is for them to have a class in the morning and to go freestyle in the afternoon.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Snow is great stuff to fall on, soft and slippery. Trees and metal objects are to be avoided.

The real danger is incompetant snowboarders. One whacked me from behind yesterday on a crazy steep slope at Sugar Bowl. He crashed so far below me that I couldn't hurl any proper insults that far.

That was severe, but skiing teaches a lot of useful lessons.

The dynamics of skiing fast over terrain reminds me very much of waveforms.