Instrument with analog output, cheap and on RS232/USB

Hi

For a test setup I often need an analog signal to feed into the device under test.

So I need a instrument with an anlog output. It needs to run on RS232 or USB

I could roll my own, with a eval board, but have no time to spend on that

Anyone know of a cheap model (no the National Instruments, NIDaqs, they are prohibitive expensive)

Thanks

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Anything here:

Dennis

test.

prohibitive expensive)

Bandwidth? Memory depth? Resolution? Sync trigger?

This

might do the job and it's fairly inexpensive.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Have you looked at Measurement Computing? They are inexpensive, less than NI.

Martin Riddle

test.

prohibitive expensive)

I assume a standard USB stereo audio adapter for the PC won't work?

Rick

Reply to
rickman

test.

prohibitive expensive)

You can use a cheap PLC like this:

or a programmable power supply like this:

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Yes, just what I needed. Thanks :-)

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

test.

prohibitive expensive)

The supply is really nice, and I need one of those anyway. Wonder how the reliability is (MTBF), chinese build you know

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

test.

prohibitive expensive)

reliability is (MTBF), chinese build you know

Be careful about the power supply - I did some hunting and found the user manual - useless - not a word about programming. I've had reasonable results from GW Instek PSP603, 60V 3.5A, documented control via Rs232 (although it needs a 12V supply poked in on one of the

9 pin d connections for this to work). Currently £159 from CPC in UK - cheapest programmable supply I could find - build quality not bad at all but it's obviously not in Agilent league (and nowhere near tradiitonal HP) for this money.

MK

Reply to
MK

I bought this 30V/5A one for USD $99 (£61) including shipping with (isolated) USB and RS-232 interfaces. Seems to be unavailable from that source atm. I think it's okay Chinese quality, but probably rated a bit "optimistically" according to DJ's vblog. No NA safety approvals. It's a kind of spare for when the 3-output Rigol is being used or maybe for risky types of loads.

Speaking of Rigol, if you want more like a signal, these units are a bargain, in a different class quality and design-wise. They have an Ethernet interface (inherently isolated), and two signal generators, so you can generate a 50MHz sine wave frequency modulated with a 1MHz triangle wave if that's what you want.

They have higher frequency units, but the price goes up quickly for the additional capability.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

That's not bad. I was talking to a physics prof. (UC Davis?) who had an experiment where he put together different lengths of 50 and 75 ohm cable, making variable wavelength 'sturctures'. And drove it with a ~50MHz. generator.

George H.

"The Journey is the reward"

eff.com

Reply to
George Herold

This is the one I use for that purpose:

That way you have it in a sturdy plastic housing. Comes with the lite version of DAQFActory which is quite useful. I really like it. Well, except for that blood-red color.

This device is also handy for niftier test setups. For example "I want this line to switch to 3V tomorrow at 10:16am but only if there is enough daylight, and then gradually ramp down to 0V until evening".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Thats a nice device and in the right pricerange, thanks :-)

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund