analog output question

I have an Omega OS102 ir thermometer that I am using in a project to record temps continuously. My data logger has 0-5 volt inputs at 12 bit resolution.

The Omega unit has an analog output of 1 mv per degree C. I am doing all my recording in the 5-37 degree C range, and it would be very useful if I was recording 10mv per degree instead of 1mv.

Is there a way to do this conversion with a simple op amp? What's the best approach to this?

Thanks

Reply to
Jim

l my

est

Your signal ranges from 5mV to 37mV.

A simple follower-with-gain curcuit will do what you want.

The National Semiconductor LF353 is probably not the amplifier you'd want to use

since the input offset voltage is typically around 5mV with a worst case of 13mV over temperature, and it would require positive and negative voltage supplies in your application.

I'd be more inclined to use the LT1006

,P1211,D1414

which is a single supply op amp with a 50uV input offest specification.

In principle you could probably use a gain of 100 in your application, but you might need to do some heavy low-pass filtering if you did want to run with that kind of gain.

You can build a Sallen and Keyes low pass filter around a single follower with gain, but few text-books analyse the circuit operation at high gain.

The two amplifier version of the circuit - as discussed in Williams and Taylor's "Electronic Filter Design Handbook"

715-ElecFilter_FM.pdf

- allows you to choose more or less arbitrary values for the two capacitors involved, which makes the design a lot more practicable. E- mail me - my e-mail address is real - if you want more detail. The dual version of the LT1006 - the LT1013 - would work in such a circuit.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Hey, Bill, time's ripe for an ASCII schematic!

Reply to
Winfield

There is also this incredibly precision conditioner for which 12-bits is a snap:

...and available for buy off their website.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

On Jan 22, 5:01 pm, snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote: [....]

Add a capacitor across the feedback resistor and you can make the filter better and the capacitor values easy to get ones.

From memory:

This gets quickly to 10 bits, (IIRC) 50mS and reduces the 180Hz by (IIRC) 30dB.

Reply to
MooseFET