Increase antenna range of 2.4 Ghz

I ordered a RC helicopter. 2.4 GHz

The specs says it has a 120 ft. range.

It is reported that the range can be extended by lengthening the antenna.

The antenna length is 3.25 cm long.

Would increasing it's length to 6.5 cm increase the range ?

Do I need to solder the same diameter copper wire to it ?

Thanks.

I found this.

What do you think ?

The length of the antenna on a typical 2.4GHz receiver is 28.8 to 32 mm lon g, most are about 28.8 mm. The antenna is that length of bare line often at the end of a longer coaxial cable to move the antenna farther out from the receiver. Yes, the length of this is somewhat critical and can greatly var y the distance that the signal can be reliably received. To long can be jus t as bad as to short unless you can accurately make sure it is some odd mul tiple of an electrical quarter wavelength; i.e. 3/4, 5/4, 7/4 etc. Note tha t electrical wavelength can be different than a simple measurement as it de pends on the velocity factor of any coax or other line involved.

Reply to
Andy K

Look around, you will find a fellow that has a yagi mounted to his hat. No, no, I meant look around on google! The yagi is driven by his transmitter, as long as he looks at his flying machine the antenna is pointed in the right direction. The yagi gives him 10 or 12 db gain. Better have good eyes, I once got an airplane so high, I lost it. Luckily a drive around the neighborhood and we found it crashed in the street a good 1/2 mile away.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

On a sunny day (Sat, 17 Jan 2015 10:57:40 -0800 (PST)) it happened Andy K wrote in :

You can go directional by buying a 10 $ or so yagi on ebay:

Jan Panteltje

I will consider the yagi.

But first I want to extend the built in antenna and see how it works.

I have a lambda antenna. A length of 8.3 cm should greatly increase the range.

Will post my results.

Andy

Reply to
Andy K

** FFS - try it and find out.

ong, most are about 28.8 mm. The antenna is that length of bare line often at the end of a longer coaxial cable to move the antenna farther out from t he receiver. Yes, the length of this is somewhat critical and can greatly v ary the distance that the signal can be reliably received. To long can be j ust as bad as to short unless you can accurately make sure it is some odd m ultiple of an electrical quarter wavelength; i.e. 3/4, 5/4, 7/4 etc.

** Not totally wrong.

Note that electrical wavelength can be different than a simple measurement as it depends on the velocity factor of any coax or other line involved.

** Utter bollocks.

A 1/4 wave antenna has an omnidirectional pattern in the horizontal plane - essential for a heli. Increasing the length creates more problems than it solves as the impedance no longer matches the line and load.

The only way to significantly increase range is at the transmitter end by u sing a directional antenna like a Yagi. 10dB gain is easily achieved so mor e than double the range.

BUT you will need to point the thing directly at the model to get that inc rease.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Andy: You cannot just extend the wire and improve the range. The antenna must resonate at the desired frequency, and changing the length will change the resonance.

By combining the signal in-phase from multiple resonant elements (which includes un-connected elements that increase the signal strength on connected elements, as in a Yagi) you can increase the received power.

The trouble is that the multiple elements interfere with the local field and hence with each other, so they will create a directional pattern - stronger in some directions and weaker in others. In the case of a fixed TV antenna where the direction to the transmitter is known, that's fine, as long as you aim it right. If you go for a Yagi with large gain, there'll be large nulls either side of the direction it's pointing. That means that if you're flying at maximum range, and you fly into the null, or point the antenna away a little, you lose signal. The higher the gain, the narrower the central lobe.

You know those vertical rectangular antennae used for mobile phone cell towers? They might have a horizontal spread of 45 degrees, but the vertical spread is only 1.5 degrees... and that's perfect for mobile phone use.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Meaning you're wasting power feeding a mismatched antenna.

IOW the transmitted signal is "squeezed" into a beam instead of being spread equally in all directions (simplified).

Best response so far.

The OP specifically wants more range. There's another obvious solution, but there are FCC limits on transmitted RF:

What's the EIRP of the OP's XMTR? Is it fixed frequency or frequency-hopping? Does he have a Ham license?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

snip

An RC controller used to be sub gigahertz FM carrier devices.

The 2.5 GHz job almost MUST be a hopper so that others can also be present in the same area, and nobody has to go out and buy crystals, like in the way back era.

This is in the wifi spectrum.

Note that that image is two segments of the full spectrum declaration, which I cut and then pasted next to each other.

Here is the full sheet in high resolution glory, and the UK and Australian versions are there as well.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

More like 88-deg H, and 6-deg V. And cross-pol, too.

In reply to Phil A's statement, you can also extend range by upping the tra nsmit power, but of course, there are regulatory constraints to such effort s. In fact, there are likely to be regulatory contraints on using Yagi's t oo, unless (at least in the US) the device was authorized pursuant to FCC O ET (part 2, etc..) to use directional antennas.

Reply to
mpm

** Yep - on 27Mhz, 72Mhz and 75Mhz bands in the USA.

27, 29 and 36 and 40 MHz bands in Australia.

Both AM and FM modulation are used, in the AM case it is 100% depth, PPM and in the FM case it is narrow band FSK mimicking the pulses of PPM.

The number of pulses per fame corresponds with the number of channels that can be independently controlled - max is about 9. Frames are repeated at a 50Hz rate.

Output power from the transmitter is about 1 watt, transmit antennas are mostly 1/8 wave and receive antennas often much less than that depending on whether the model is a car, boat, plane or heli.

Digital transmission on 2.4GHz is still a bit novel.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

snip and replace with NEWER, direct from the source...

chartp>

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

72 MHz would have been "interesting" 30 years ago. Sandwiched near TV-4, and that band was used a lot by paging companies for radio remotes in simulcast systems. Back in the day that band was probably fairly congested.

And 27 MHz would have been Citizens Band (CB), if I recall correctly.

Just thinking out loud on the O.P.'s question... I wonder if adding a little receive preamp on the R/C vehicle would be the best way to increase its range (as opposed to trying something on the transmit side)?

Reply to
mpm

A few decades ago, I bought a radio-controlled model airplane. Later found out why it was so cheap. There was a pager on the exact frequency.

Reply to
mike

** 5 spots were allocated to RC models. 26.995, 27.045, 27.095, 27.145 & 27.195

You will not find them on a standard 27MHz CB radio.

Folk regularly used them with competition RC cars and boats.

Bit iffy with planes.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

...Or unless you have a ham license and operate 2390-2450 MHz.

Reply to
John S

On a sunny day (Mon, 19 Jan 2015 05:07:58 -0600) it happened John S wrote in :

2400-2450 MHz is only satellite traffic for hams over here. Is a drone a satellite? Needs to go higher and faster ;-)

But moon bounce should be OK. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje