HP 4155A Parameter Analyser

Does anyone have an HP 4155A in their lab? I picked one up a while ago which was sold as "parts or repair" but which seems to work fine. The

4145A units were regarded as being very reliable units apart from the floppy disk, and I wondered if there was any common failure mechanisms in the 4155A? As a minimum I'll strip it down and check the electrolytic caps, and backup any ROMs etc.
Reply to
JM

What is your question, exactly?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I recently acquired a nice 4145B. Apart from the weird and unique floppy drives, they're pretty nearly indestructible, and they do amazing things.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

I found their menu system painful, not very intuitive, and the manual is a disaster. Also, I wasn't able to find much discussion on the web.

I've become a big fan of SMUs. Yes, those old HP instruments have multiple SMUs, but usually you only need two. A used Keithley 2602, 2612, etc., is a very versatile instrument. With its ethernet connection, you can run it from your computer, using a JAVA program they supply.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Well, I've been using them for 20 years or so, and you get good at it eventually. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

OK, when I get stuck, I'll call you! :>))

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I was just trying to gauge whether the 4155A is considered to be as reliable as it's predecessor...

Reply to
JM

You probably already know - but the HxC Floppy Drive Emulator can replace the drive.

Reply to
JM

I did find it puzzling that HP don't list any docs for the 4155/4156. There are some decent docs available though - such as the Self-paced Training Manual.

Reply to
JM

Thanks, I didn't know that. Looks like a bit more of a science project than I had in mind though.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

Are you interested in a replacement drive? I know SRS changed out their 3.5" floppy in the SRS770 to a usb drive, (The usb still only holds 720 kB or something like that... it gets formatted to look like a floppy) I've got one and could open it up and look for a part number/ manufacturer.

George H.

one, I could open it up and

Reply to
George Herold

Thanks. The 4145B uses a drive with a nonstandard interface, which is why r eplacing it is more of a science project than doing the same thing with a P C. I think it's a Sony model 300D.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs