How does negative impedance cobverter enable impedance matching ?

I was about to make the same argument, until I re-realized that LNAs I made for some beam position pick-ups in some accelerators here use feedback around the pre-amp to make a synthetic 50 Ohm input impedance that is quieter than a real 50 Ohm resistor. A beam position pick-up is very much like an antenna, exposed to the EM field of the passing beam.

OK, it's not a negative impedance, but it uses the same principles and it *does* make a better [lower noise] amplifier. My amplifier has an effective noise temperature of 30K or so, despite being at room temperature.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

No, it's not the same thing. NIC uses positive feedback to cancel the capacitance of a short antenna. You are using negative feedback to force a specific input impedance. If you used positive feedback the noise would increase.

Rohde published a paper some time ago on the use of negative feedback to reduce amplifier noise. I cannot supply a reference, but some of his equipment have a dynamic range of 170 dB. Utterly amazing.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

[Snip!]

We could argue about this, and I can't afford the time, but I believe you are wrong. The way I see it is that it's not the feedback that reduces the noise. Rather, the feedback makes a grossly mis-matched resistor look like 50 Ohms when seen from the amp's input. The fact that it's mis-matched makes that its thermal noise couples poorly, which is what was sought.

In physics detectors, they go one step further: The pre-amps are usually integrating, so the 50 Ohm input impedance is obtained by feedback through a capacitor, which makes even less noise. Look up publications by Veljko Radeka, if you care.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

I wish you could stick around. I learn a lot from you.

Integrating uses negative feedback. This reduces noise as Rohde has showed.

I do care about noise. I found two publications by Radeka:

Detector Signal Processing

LOW-NOISE TECHNIQUES IN DETECTORS

cl_part_sci_1988.pdf

Radeka uses uses negative feedback and integration. Integration reduces noise.

Can you supply links to show how to obtain a 50 ohm input impedance with feedback through a capacitor? I can invision generating a 50 ohm input impedance by using a 50 ohm resistor in series with the negative input of an op amp, but I don't see the need for a capacitor. Please enlighten me.

I'm very interested in methods to reduce thermal noise.

Reply to
Steve Wilson