How do you calculate the REQUIRED voltage from a transformer secondary

They are a ready made recessed fixtures, complete with reflector, and bezel. They are sold in 2 ways. The basic fixture is made for 12v. But there is a 120VAC adaptor that can be bought and put on each light. (He dont have that adaptor). He has 22 lights in two rows (presently). He is talking about installing 22 more, which means his needs would then be 30 amps at 12VDC. (But if he adds the extra lights, he would be separating it from the initial bank of batteries and solar panels.

Reply to
oldschool

Presumably he's already using an LED lamp that's designed for 12V battery power; driving that with a supply designed for an LED string wouldn't be appropriate -- he wants a supply that looks like a battery to his LED driver.

Unless he wants to cut out his LED driver, too.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Yes, it is quite informative.... It's come in handy for several tube issues I have had.

Reply to
oldschool

What the hell, the heat sink for a 20A rectifier from IR would cost a lot more than that. Nitrogen liquefiers are heavy.

Reply to
krw

Is he using a driver for each string of LEDs? Is he using *any* driver for the LEDs? Or is he connecting them straight to the battery? Are the LEDs designed for a range of voltages like you will get when powering from a battery? 12 volt lead acid batteries don't put out 12 volts except when they are about exhausted. A fully charged lead acid battery will approach 13 volts and be much higher when being charged even at a slow rate.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Scrap ali's pretty cheap.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr
[del]

Not really THAT cheap. Even Chinese Post charges a few bucks for heavier pa ckages. Remember most of the parts that can be had for $1 - $3 (and yes, ma ny of them are actually genuine) fit into an envelope that is extremely ine xpensive to ship - untracked.

My point was different. I've bought from Ali many times and often, with suc cess. But when it comes to specs, you can only trust the manufacturer of th e part (as long as its genuine). The sellers will put all kinds of %$&^% sp ecs on their storefronts just to shine out in a competitive market. The con cept that specs have to be grounded in reality is well established in the W est, not so much in China.

Reply to
Kamen Lilov

You are more eager to be obnoxious than you interested in being right.

Quote:

lunatic fringe electronics

hence I mentioned scrap ali. Funny how if you press it into some fancy shap e that makes little difference to its heatsinkiness you can sell it to EEs for 10x the price.

them are actually genuine) fit into an envelope that is extremely inexpensi ve to ship - untracked.

uccess. But when it comes to specs, you can only trust the manufacturer of the part (as long as its genuine). The sellers will put all kinds of %$&^% specs on their storefronts just to shine out in a competitive market. The c oncept that specs have to be grounded in reality is well established in the West, not so much in China.

sure, but with heatsinks that doesn't really come into it. Just work out wh at it really does from the dimensions.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

** My post was factual and more than fair to a serial pest.

** Makes no sense at all.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison