Voltage required

I have an external hard drive, taken from an older computer, in a Dick Smith external enclosure. During a move I got all the transformers mixed up and now I do not know whether this requires 12 volts or 16 volts. Any ideas?

Roger Dewhurst

Start assuming 12 V, it might be to low, but wont damage the disk.

16 volt might "seem" to be oke, but cause excessive heating,

And apply stickers to the ones you can sort out. It avoids a lot of worrying.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Thanks. I am putting stickers on these things now!

Roger Dewhurst

Most disk drive enclosures route power straight from the power block to the +12V (yellow wire) input to a hard drive mechanism. Open the drive enclosure and check for that connection.

Reply to
whit3rd