Hartley and Colpitts theory and design

Hi all,
this is my first time in this NG, then I hope my request isn't OT.

I'm searching for paper related mathematical analysis of Colpitts and
Hartley oscillator (I know the
basic theory related 3-point oscillator), but I'm searchig for a in deep
coverage about transistor oscillator design, with also comparison from
Hartley oscillator with mutual inductance and Colpitts, and how I can
proof the better amplitude stability for the Hartley compared Colpitts
oscillator and so on.

Thanks in advance if someone can help me...

Fabio

Re: Hartley and Colpitts theory and design

Third book from top of page:
http://www.arrl.org/catalog/?category=Circuit+Design&words =

Introduction to Radio Frequency Design
-- by Wes Hayward, W7ZOI.
A thorough treatment of the fundamental methods of radio frequency design
using mathematics as needed to develop intuition for RF circuits and
systems. You'll find emphasis on applications of simple circuit models
whenever possible. Prepares readers to actually design HF, VHF and UHF
equipment.

400 pages. First ARRL Edition, Fourth Printing, 1994-2004, The American
Radio Relay League, Inc. (ISBN: 0-87259-492-0) #4920 -- $39.95

Don't let the title mislead you; it is an in-depth treatment.

Cheers,
John

Re: Hartley and Colpitts theory and design

Worked with Wes for a while at TriQuint, good guy. Got him to autograph my
copy. He's got a new one out "Experimental Methods in Rf Design" that I
haven't had a chance to look at yet.

Robert

Re: Hartley and Colpitts theory and design

Get it. You won't be sorry.

John

Re: Hartley and Colpitts theory and design

Planning on it but Rf work has been very hard to come by around here
(Portland OR) the last few years since I left TriQuint. For family reasons I
can't move to where it might be more plentiful. So have to tough it out the
best I can here.

When I do get a copy I plan on getting it autographed by Wes and Rick
Campbell. Rick was working at TriQuint as well but he's still around the
area working at Cascade Microtech now.

Robert.

Re: Hartley and Colpitts theory and design

I understand. I'm not doing any RF work either. But, I enjoy reading about
it and the book prompts me to dream of building some of the circuits. It's a
good read even if you don't plan to do the work.

I wish I could get my copies autographed.

John

Re: Hartley and Colpitts theory and design

You probably can, at some cost[1] - find his snail mail address, ask him
if he'd be so kind as to autograph your copy for you, and ship it to him
in a reusable box and include a return postage sticker so that it doesn't
cost him anything.

Good Luck!
Rich
[1] The price of shipping a book both ways.

Re: Hartley and Colpitts theory and design

Wes would probably do it. I could ask if anyone is serious about it.

Robert

Re: Hartley and Colpitts theory and design

Robert,

Could you drop me a line at     j k o l s t a d 7 1 @yahoo.com  with your real
e-mail address regarding this?

Thanks,
---Joel Kolstad

Re: Hartley and Colpitts theory and design

   Perhaps a read of chapter 20 "Transistor Feedback Amplifiers" in "Transistors
and
Active Circuits" by John G Linvill and James F Gibbons would give a good start.

Re: Hartley and Colpitts theory and design

"Oscillator Design & Computer Simulation" by Rhea.  But don't expect it
to say that one is better than the other -- it won't.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Vacuum Tube Oscillators, W.A. Edson

the most complete analysis I have seen (eg cf rhea)

Cheers
Terry

Re: Hartley and Colpitts theory and design

I'd like to say thank you to all guys that have spent some time
to reply at my post, sincerely thanks...

I'll check for your indication but I think also a good book is about
Benjamin Parzen,
I've write about this in other thread, but thisbooks seems untrovable, then,
sigh, if anyone
have it plz let me know...

Thanks again
Fabio

Re: Hartley and Colpitts theory and design

I've got it, in PDF form (14Mb) :)

I also have Heising, Salt and Frerking :)

personally, I think Edsons book has more analytical stuff.

UFFC produced a 20-CD collection, for IIRC US$50 a few years back. so I
bought it.

Cheers
Terry

PS it would be naughty to give you a copy. But you can probably deduce
my email address....

Re: Hartley and Colpitts theory and design

then,

Yup, may be very help for me if you can share the electronic copy... let me
know please, I'm searching
desperatly...

Tnx
Fabio

Re: Hartley and Colpitts theory and design

email me.

Cheers
Terry

Re: Hartley and Colpitts theory and design

me

at what address...

Tnx
fabio

Re: Hartley and Colpitts theory and design

I'll give you a hint (english obviously isnt your first language, so
I'll assume you just didnt understand)

my_name@IEEE.org

Cheers
Terry Given

Re: Hartley and Colpitts theory and design

untrovable,
let

yep you're right :) well if I understand I've to use underscore... right?

Tnx
Fabio

Re: Hartley and Colpitts theory and design

Try it both ways - the one that isn't right will get bounced. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Site Timeline