Colpitts oscillators

I've did some troubleshooting of a common-collector 3rd-hamornic crystal Colpitts oscillator this weekend, discovering that my emitter inductor (used to force harmonic operation) was too big, thereby sometimes allowing oscillation at the fundamental rather than the harmonic. In tracking this down, I re-read the relevant sections of Matthys's "Crystal Oscillator Circuits" and Hayward's "Radio Frequency Design." The two of them have somewhat different focuses, but I find it interesting that when it comes to the two capacitors in the "Colpitts network" Matthys says, "There is no requirement for any specific ratio of C1 [the base-emitter cap] to C2 [emitter-ground cap]." While arguably an entirely true statement, in contrast Hayward spends plenty of time discussing the ratio, even going so far as to create a graph of the oscillator's loop gain and phase as a function of one capacitor's value vs. the other, with the intent of letting you choose a gain that's not too much bigger than one so as try to minimize output waveform distortion.

Anyone have some thoughts on this? I have a suspicion that Hayward addresses the topic because he's trying hard to keep the transistor in small-signal (active) mode as much as possible, where Matthys right off-the-bat says that you can expect your transistor to be off ~80% of the time, saturated ~10% of the time, and operating actively ~10% of the time.

Matthys also suggests that the C2 (base-emitter) cap should generally be "between 40-70pF," whereas Hayward likes 100pF (and generally prefers larger caps... which I suspect reflects his emphasis on oscillators down at HF whereas Matthys often wanders into VHF territory).

I'm interested in whether those of you who design such oscillators tend to do it more from heuristic techniques (I have another book which suggests very heuristical approaches, e.g., "make the ratio of C2:C1 about 4:1") and expect to do a bit of tweaking on a bench vs. simulating the entire thing in SPICE first and expecting that it'll work just ducky on a bench. Also... when you're looking at a Colpitts oscillator, what do you tend to "see?" The most "natural" representation to *me* of the various configurations are:

Common base: Transistor thought of as a gain=1 emitter follower, and you're chasing loop gain. Hayward uses this point of analysis (and points out that it is, of course, an arbitrary choice.) I can see it readily as a negative resistance too. Common collector: Transistor thought of as a negative resistance, and with a few quick network transformations you're back to an RLC network where the transistor's negative R cancels our the load R. (Plastonek takes this approach. Matthys does loop gain analysis with just a bit of hand-waving thrown in. Hayward points out that all the topologies are really the same, you're just shifting the ground reference around...) Common emitter: Classic loop gain approach, with transistor base being a resistive load and the collector being a current source driving a pi network. Everyone seems to do it this way, since it's perhaps the most intuitively obvious topology and it's easy to analyze.

I also find it interestingly the Hayward's book -- aimed at hams -- seems to have one of the most comprehensive discussions of all this. The Art of Electronics only has a page on it!

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

You expected something different? AOE covers a wide range - Hayward is focussed. However, I must admit to wanting more sometimes where AOE whets the appetite instead of offering a full meal. Not a negative comment on AOE, just a recognition that it is not intended to be an in depth treatise on all things electronic.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 10:23:39 -0800, Joel Koltner wrote: ...

Personal preference - the one guy likes to run his oscillators class A, while the other guy is partial to class C. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

For a Class C oscillator, you're better off changing the bias so that the amplitude limiting happens by cutoff and not saturation. Your close-in phase noise will be much better. It sounds as though M. is assuming that anyone who wants a quiet oscillator will use ALC.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

AoE isn't an RF book. There are very few good RF books and IMHO the best are from the ham radio community. I could recommend a some really good ones but except for the ARRL Handbook the ones here aren't in English.

SPICE and theoretical approaches are fine but at the end of the day you'll have to fire up the old Weller and experiment. Find out the boundaries, stability ranges etc. I found that transistor models for SPICE aren't the cat's meouw when you approach the UHF range and above.

I got myself a few BFP620 with the last Digikey round. Hopefully the project load will ease up some. Can't wait to get my hands onto those because their ft is a screaming 65GHz. Yeehaw!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I guess I did... they spend so much time on op-amps and filters, it's only a hop, skip, and a jump to oscillators. At least as far as basic operation goes -- I wouldn't expect Win to delve into phase noise, how everything starts getting a lot "messier" if you toss a PLL into the mix, etc.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Yeah, but Colpitts oscillators are hardly an RF-only concept. I first had them formally covered in some generic circuits class using Sedra & Smith...

I wish more of them had a little more circuit theory behind them, as Hayward does. Even DeMaw, who clearly knew what he was doing and was a better radio designer than I'm likely to be any time soon :-), did an awful lot of hand waving in some of his articles... (I don't have a copy of it to look at, but I almost bet that I could tell you pretty quickly which parts of Solid State Design for the Radio Amateur -- which he co-wrote with Hayward -- are his vs. Hayward's...)

I don't mind firing up the, er, Metcal (hey, they're cheap at surplus! ...tips are only a buck each!) and doing so, although with that sort of prototyping I usually feel constrained to just change component values around and watch what happens. With a simulator you can make nice graphs of, e.g., loop gain vs. frequency by opening the loop -- something pretty difficult (well, time-consuming) to do on a bench.

Anything in particular you're planning to do with those BFP620's?

Thanks for the advice,

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Same here, they covered them in Basic Electrical Engineering for us, 1st or 2nd semester. But let's face it, fresh grads coming out of universities these days only see that weird component X1 in their circuit, connected to two pins of their DSP, along with a couple of capacitors that they have picked by rote from a table in the datasheet. That's it. The most they might ever do in oscillator design is pick a Fox can from the Digikey catalog. IME Clapp, Colpitts, Hartley and such certainly fall into the RF (= weird) category for most engineers.

Sometimes I wonder who is going to write such books once others have followed Doug and left the earth.

Probably the first thing is going to be a pulse amp. Got to be careful though. Once Vce goes above 2.3V ... poof. An ever so slight overshoot can send them off the cliff. OTOH it is incredible how cheap RF transistors have become. IOW the good old days are right now.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Us old farts will always be employed ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Hey, I'm not that old. Yet. But I believe companies like Tektronix, Intel or HP should build subsidized nursing homes with electronics labs in there. Seriously. "Yo, Leroy, we've got this new kid here. Can you put your teeth in and explain a sampling circuit to him?"

I was pretty shocked when neighbors were over with their girls. Both attend schools in SoCal and I, having been educated overseas, just couldn't believe it: I did not know that they are being plagued with tons of liberal arts stuff instead of EE, med, or whatever their goal is. Why are they doing that? I thought this stuff was taught at the high school level and then that's it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, but unfortunately you're not always going to be around... at least on this particular plane of existance. :-)

My wife has a cousin who graduated from high-school a year or so ago. It was one of those "charter" high schools, with an eye towards those interested in arts. I was amazed that as a senior in high school they'd still give her A's on reports even though they had a fair number of misspelled words and grammatical errors! It's hard to blame a kid for not learning a lot when so little seems to be asked of them... at least when it comes to "traditional" learning -- I'm sure most kids today are far more "educated" than we ever were when it comes to stuff like the history of discrimination, diversity, etc...

It's a cultural shift that says "everyone must go to college." Yet I don't really think that any significantly different percentage of kids are all that

*interested* in what college has to offer than they ever were, so as a result you see courses getting watered down because it looks bad for a college to be failing, say, a third of their students.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Joerg, You just don't understand... "science" is by "consensus" now :-(

...Jim Thompson

That's one reason why a lot of our church members are now home-schooling their kids.

The other fact that constantly amazes me is how many kids go to college without having given thought to what they want to become some day. My parents would have read me the riot act.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Ah, now I get it. Like global warming?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yep.

We're about to have tar-and-feathering around here. The school "educrats" showed "An Inconvenient Truth" to students without any contrasting opinions.

They also ignored December 7.

Hell is about to break loose.

...Jim Thompson

Hi Joel,

crystal=20

(used=20

this=20

have=20

comes to=20

no=20

contrast=20

as to=20

of one=20

a gain=20

waveform=20

addresses=20

small-signal=20

says that=20

~10% of=20

be=20

larger=20

HF=20

tend to do=20

very=20

expect=20

SPICE=20

when=20

The most=20

you're=20

out that=20

negative=20

with a=20

the=20

hand-waving=20

same,=20

a=20

network.=20

intuitively=20

seems to=20

of=20

I use "Colpitts" for oscillators with one inductor and 2 capacitors (no = crystal). I always think of them as having the transistor in common base. The gain of the transistor is a large-signal Gm. =20

This approach was described by Kenneth Clarke in "Design of = Self-Limiting Transistor Sine-Wave Oscillators" in IEEE Trans. on Circuit Theory, vol =

13, (March 1966), pp 58-63. It is also described in Communication Circuits: Analysis and Design by Kenneth Clarke and Donald Hess (1971).

Clarke derives the large signal Gm by using Bessel functions. Then it is a simple matter to derive the loop gain and conditions for = oscillation. As well as the relation ship between DC emitter current and the peak = voltage on the tank. The oscillator will limit by having the e-b junction cut off much of the = time. As a result of this technique, I designed for a desired voltage level on = the tank. And, of course, a desired voltage on the load. So, I designed oscillators based on these derived equations and did = neither a heuristic nor a SPICE techinique.

A much simpler (though slightly less accurate) version of this technique = is described in Planar Microwave Engineering by Thomas H. Lee (2004).

There seem to be 2 main ways to add a crystal to a Colpitts oscillator. One is to simply replace the L with the crystal operated slightly above series resonance. I think this is usually called a Pierce oscillator. I've never designed one of those. If I had to, I'd try to do it the same way as above, though.

The other is to insert the crystal between the emitter and the junction = of the two capacitors. I think this is usually called a Butler oscillator. The crystal is operated at series resonance; I resonated the case capacitance out with an inductor. Here, the L-C tank of the base = Colpitts osc. selects which overtone you are using from the crystal. I biased the transistor for linear operation and used hot-carrier diodes to limit elsewhere. Again, it was possible to design for desired signal and power levels.

--=20 Regards, Howard snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com

Reply to
Howard Swain

Hi Howard,

Ah, good point -- I was being a little imprecise in my terminology.

"This approach was described by Kenneth Clarke in "Design of Self-Limiting Transistor Sine-Wave Oscillators" in IEEE Trans. on Circuit Theory, vol 13, (March 1966), pp 58-63."

Thanks for the reference.

"So, I designed oscillators based on these derived equations and did neither a heuristic nor a SPICE techinique."

...and I take it your as-built results were reasonable close to those predicted by the design equations? Hayward uses some "rules of thumb" that are intuitively reasonable and says they generally work out to within 2dB of what he actually builds, which is pretty impressive for avoiding the slow road to a proper large-scale gm discussion.

"A much simpler (though slightly less accurate) version of this technique is described in Planar Microwave Engineering by Thomas H. Lee (2004).

That one's sitting on the shelf... thanks again.

"There seem to be 2 main ways to add a crystal to a Colpitts oscillator. One is to simply replace the L with the crystal operated slightly above series resonance. I think this is usually called a Pierce oscillator."

Yes. In Hayward's examples he sticks with replacing the inductor in a common collector Colpitts with a crystal and calling it a Pierce whereas most other examples (including Matthys) seem to use the common emitter (or some generic inverting logic gate), so I'm thinking that "Pierce" covers pretty much any particular topology where you just swap the inductor for a crystal and figure you'll be operating a little above series resonance.

"I've never designed one of those. If I had to, I'd try to do it the same way as above, though."

The design techniques seem to get a little bit more cut-and-try when you go to a harmonic oscillator... :-) AFAIK Matthys is the only one who still attempts to give some reasonably mathematical design approaches.

"The other is to insert the crystal between the emitter and the junction of the two capacitors. I think this is usually called a Butler oscillator. The crystal is operated at series resonance; I resonated the case capacitance out with an inductor."

I'm tempted to try building a Butler myself -- series resonant approaches seem to be preferred over parallel resonant ones, presumably because the case capacitance doesn't become a part of the frequency determining elements (i.e., only the motional L and C matter).

Your post has been quite helpful, Howard -- much appreciated.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I'd like to know where in the Constitution it says, "the government is hereby granted the authority to take away your earnings to pay other people's bills"?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Speaking of crystals... I've found Jack Smith's article on measuring a crystal's equivalent circuit model parameters as linked to here:

...useful Jack's a surprisingly productive guy... he has the cover story in QEX this month to boot!

Similarly, just a few months ago Wes Hayward wrote up "An Oscillator Scheme for Quartz Crystal Characterization" here:

Joel Koltner

You must be much younger than you appear.

What's wrong with just getting a higher-level education, such that you can make _informed_ decisions, rather than just a couple of years of job training and basket-weaving?