Good contact and potmeter cleaners?

what else does a man need? "

Metal coat hangers.

Reply to
jurb6006

I think you misspelled "implant". ;-)

Reply to
krw

I did unfortunately loose my Swiss army knife to TSA, Well, I left it on top of the nearest garbage can once I realized it was still in my pocket at some airport. I hope some kid found it.

I've got an original leather man which I love. It's a nice size and has needle nose pliers w/ wire cutters. I was going to say they don't make it anymore... and then I found you can now buy one for $200. (ouch way too long a link, search 'original leather man', REI has them for $199.)

With good stuff the price increases with time.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

see

Steve Wilson

Right, I'm just lazy. GH

Reply to
George Herold

That happens, perhaps too often.

How's your health. Electronics can be so fascinating that it can trap you into a sedentary life. You get no exercise and your health slowly deteoriates.

Some people recommend walking a mile a day. You normally walk about 3 mph, so a mile would be 20 minutes. Another 20 minutes for the return, and you have spent 40 minutes. This gives you time to enjoy the scenery and work on current problems. You arrive back home strengthened and refreshed and ready to tackle the day's work.

JL loves skiing and has a cabin in Tahoe. Win likes rowing and competes on the Charles:

Joerg brews beer and cycles long distances.

JT drinks too much, is overweight and will probably die soon.

Don't do what I did. I got totally absorbed in design and software. My health gradually deteoriated, but I didn't notice it. I had a bike and used to go 10 km from time to time, but I gradually stopped. Now, to my amazement, I can no longer ride the bike, and I can only climb stairs one step at a time. This is very bad. Canada has pretty bad winters which make walking miserable. But spring is coming and soon I will be able to start biking again. I hope to get my strength back so I can run up stairs again.

You need exercise. Neglecting your health is a very bad idea.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

+1

But a mile isn't enough. It should be an hour a day, preferably at one time.

Reply to
krw

And hopefully didn't commit an assault with it, after which they swab off the DNA ...

Sometimes not. I found that really good bicyclist multi-tools are still in the $20-30 range. From companies such as Crankbrothers.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

However, if some chronic pain in the knees, hips or wherever has set in consult the family physician first about which kind of activity is still feasible without causing further damage. Usually bicycling and swimming is encouraged.

Then, start or re-start slowly. My first bike rides after a 15+ year hiatus, combined with significan weight gain, were short and tough. I had to hop off the bike half way up a hill and walk, hills I'd have laughed at in my youth. Hoping nobody saw that. Don't become discouraged by that, keep plowing, it'll get better. Now I can ride 50mi or more while keeping a good dose of power on the pedals without a problem. I usually only turn around to be back in time for dinner. If I have all day I ride all day.

Next, force yourself not to cave in to excuses like bad weather. Old Frisian saying: There is no bad weather, just wrong clothing. And get a bicycle with disc brakes, though on pavement I still use my old road bike from 1982.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The old "instant abs" trick !

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Absolutely. However, these forms of exercise don't help the skeleton (obviously). My endocrinologist said that walking was the perfect exercise (I fractured my pelvis last year - no idea how).

Sure. Do what you can and challenge yourself to do more. I didn't start until I had my CABG in '14. My cardiologist sent me for 12 weeks of rehab, 3 days a week. That taught me that I could do it and after, I joined a gym. I've had a few setbacks (other the above pelvis fracture, surgery, and even vacations;) but I walk about

15-17mi/day now, 6-7 on a treadmill. Amazingly, feet feel a lot better (arthritis).

I just walk inside where there is heat/AC. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Have you ever ridden a mountain bike, hard?

Yesterday I had to re-tighten the rear suspension of mine again because it shook loose during the last ride.

Ok, but here we were talking about general fitness. Bone health requires "impact activities" sich as soccer, tennis, jogging and even then you only train some, not all.

Excellent, 15mi a day puts you in the upper 1% of Americans on the healthy activity scale.

Doing it outside helps you in other ways. For example, you'd soon discover that you get sick way less than before. I hardly ever get sick despite not taking flu shots. Not counting the occasional poison oak rashes when I saw that stuff too late during a ride (partially color-blind).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Nope. Not even a desire.

We're not talking about breaking bones, just putting a little stress on them. Running isn't as good as walking because it causes damage, rather than improving remodeling.

Sure but your "general fitness" also destroys joints and bone. Walking helps both, unless arthritis has already claimed the joint. In which case, swimming is probably the best alternative.

I don't remember the last time I was actually "sick". My wife did get bronchitis when I was in the hospital for the CABG and promptly gave it to me the day after I got home (that was a sick to remember). Other than that, it's gotta be over 20 years for anything more than sniffles. I do get flu and pneumonia shots (high risk of severe complications). I may even get a shingles vaccination this year, since the new one is out.

Reply to
krw