Good Contact Cleaner ?

Hello,

Was recommended the GC 19-724 contact cleaner, but cannot purchase it because it comes in a box of 12. Would like something similar, that can be ordered in a single quantity.

Would something like Zero-Tri Super Cleaner/Degreaser act in the same way? (Would like to remove WD-40)

Thank you

Reply to
Solo

The lubricant in WD-40 is either mineral oil or Naphtha in Europe. Both can be removed with alcohol.

Once the mineral oil is gone, then you can then use any contact cleaner on your unspecified device. I wouldn't try to do the job in one pass.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Sorry, I should have specified the device: I am trying to fix a VCR, which some WD-40 got sprayed, near the area where the two reels are located, now trying to remove it: I could use an Isopropyl Alcohol cleaner, and I believe it might be available as an aerosol by GC Electronics. After using this, I would like to apply the contact cleaner, to make sure the WD-40 is gone.

Reply to
Solo

Watch out for the rubber parts. Both the solvent and the oils will attack the rubber.

Under the reels is a mess of plastic parts with some grease as lubrication. If you use alcohol to clean off the WD-40 oil residue, you'll also disolve off some of the grease. Contact cleaner is NOT a suitable replacement for the grease. I like to use automotive lithium white grease for VCR's, but it might be a bit thick.

Reading between your lines, my guess is that you're trying to fix this without disassembling the VCR. Bad news. You're going to have to take it apart and clean out the guts. I doubt that the WD-40 has done much damage unless someone emptied the can. Open it up, clean up what you can with lint free rag and put the grease back where applicable (metal to plastic points of contact).

Forget the contact cleaner. There are no contacts to clean inside. Contact cleaner contains Oleic Acid and Naptha. Oleic acid is mildly corrosive and removes the oxides from the silver or copper contacts. There's no benefit to doing that in a VCR mechanism. In addition, the solvent carrier will rot the plastic and rubber. Forget the contact cleaner.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Solo said..

VCR,

Grab a couple of cans of CRC contact cleaner. Isolate the part (if you can) hold it upside down so the fluid and oil drains from the part instead of flowing back into the job. Use gloves and be in a ventilated area and just drench the job with contact cleaner from all angles.

If you have specific parts you don't want to get wet or are sensitive any residue that isn't removed then tape it off.

Let it dry well and lubricate parts if you have to.

Cleaner/dp/B000BXOGNI

Reply to
K Fodder