Servo steering

Is there a name for this kind of RC car steering arrangement with a rotating servo arm driving the linkages?

Reply to
bitrex

mandag den 30. april 2018 kl. 22.46.50 UTC+2 skrev bitrex:

pitman arm and drag link?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Pitman arm, that's it. Wow, manual steering! The Dark Ages, man.

Reply to
bitrex

Ughh, The RC cars I built, had front ends that mostly looked like racing cars. (RC-10) I don't know of any special name for the linkage. It's not all that different from a riding lawn mower.

You wiggle one side back and forth and there's a cross bar (probably not be the right name) to transfer the motion to the other side.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Recirculating ball and nut, or worm and sector.

I prefer rack and pinion myself. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions, by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that is the secret of happiness." -James Barrie

"Drive by wire" electronic rack-and-pinion seems to be the direction the auto industry is going for sedans. Better fuel economy than hydraulics and BLDCs are surely more reliable than compressors and hoses and liquids being pushed around under pressure.

With a series-hybrid drivetrain (ICE spins a generator that sends power to BLDCs on the drive axle like a diesel locomotive) you could ditch the steering wheel entirely; left right up down on a console stick for left right throttle brake, like an aircraft. I'd be cool with that, steering wheels are clunky and definitely not an optimal place to try and squeeze an airbag

Reply to
bitrex

It doesn't look particularly accurate; looks like errors in positioning the driving feedback servo would be amplified by the lever arm of the linkage.

Reply to
bitrex

Recirculating ball looks like it was invented by either a genius or a madman.

Reply to
bitrex

That's known as a "drag link". Truth in naming, at least.

Reply to
Bill Martin

Rack & pinion is far more accurate than worm screw, but worm wins on safety. If you hit a kerb etc, R&P veers off out of control, ripping the wheel from your hands. Worm is more a one way energy deal, and this doesn't happen.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ackerman

--
     ?
Reply to

In 1978 a "lady" who was "late for work" decided to pass (thru the dirt berm) a bunch of cars waiting at a stop sign, popping out in front of me.

I nailed her in the driver's side door, spinning the steering wheel, breaking my left thumb :-(

My wife was all upset with me because I asked the police officer if the "lady" was ticketed... when she replied with a long list of violations, I said "GOOD!" >:-}

(It was my first 280Z :-(

The body shop was exquisite... when fixed it had better alignment than from the factory... drove it up I17, hands-off steering wheel, at

120MPH, straight as an arrow ;-) ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Total loss accident nowadays. 3x total loss, probably.

Repairing a moderate scrape that runs down all three body panels deep enough to slightly dent the sheet metal on a late-model car, say if you'd accidentally scraped a guardrail at about 10mph for two seconds, is a $7000 repair

Reply to
bitrex