Future Generations Need Not Worry About Climate Change

Strange, when hurricane Katrina owes some of its near-record force

to the anthropogenic global warming that had already warmed the Caribbean.

More global warming is going to create more intense hurricanes (though it seems unlikely to make them more frequent).

If John Larkin is representative of the kind of brain damage that comes from growing up in New Orleans, the population may well be unworried. The defects in the sea defenses of New Orleans shown up by Katrina may be a symptom of the same problem.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Either everyone you know is shortsighted, or you only contact a small circle of like-thinking fellow cultists.

Reply to
whit3rd

Or possibly you hang out with a lot of neurotic wusses who look for reasons to be unhappy.

I should introduce a line of internet-enabled beds that are designed to hide under.

lunatic fringe electronics

You're in denial of the fact that, no matter how interesting and important your life and plans appear to you, mother nature does not give a shyte.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

It's a beautiful, glorious, generous planet, Fred. There's sun, rain, snow, clouds, glaciers, lakes, all that cool triple-point stuff. There's peach trees, bees making honey, salmon to catch, oil and gas for free, pre-separated iron and gold and quartz and stuff just waiting to be dug up. CO2 to feed the plants and oxygen for us. Stuff you can dig or chop up and burn. Free radiation shields and rare comet impacts.

If you don't think Mother Nature is being extra good to us, maybe it's time to move along.

lunatic fringe electronics

John Larkin's enthusiasm for denialist web-sites might be be seen as desper ate bid to hide from reality. I think he's just a gullible sucker, but he m ight be fleeing from the idea that his kids and grandchildren are going to grow up in a less hospitable world than he did.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

bal

nt your life and plans appear to you, mother nature does not give a shyte.

Mother Nature is being just as good to us as she was to the dinosaurs when she dropped an irrelevant asteroid on their little red wagon. Anthropogenic global warming isn't quite as much of a bolt from the blue as the killer a steroid was, but denying anthropogenic global warming is about as effective a reaction to it as anything the dinosaurs could come up with.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

They didn't call us "Puritans" because we were so relaxed about things.

One of my 4x great grandfathers, Benjamin Coe, was a captain in a little war called the Revolutionary War, because those British pissed him off or something.

I believe he was the grandson of this guy, one of the "OG" Americans:

I also recently found out that I'm distantly related to George W. Bush via that line - one of Barbara Bush's great great great grandfathers was my 5x grandfather or something like that.

Ancestry.com's free trial is pretty cool ;-)

Reply to
bitrex

PS: The tree remains up until Epiphany.

Reply to
bitrex

The long history of doomsday predictions is about more than climate. People used to think we did something to cause eclipses. I think the same psychology is at work.

http://www.avg.com
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I recall a study of old church records that found that about half of Puritan girls were already pregnant on the day they were married. The Victorians were pretty frisky too.

Remember "The Scarlet Letter"? Stuff happened.

My wife claims she is descended from a female Irish smuggler and pirate. As far as I can tell, all my ancestors were pretty dull.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I think it's funny that he includes in his list of wonders any manner of things that show how much we are crapping on the environment. Peach trees require pollination by bees. The pesticides we use on our crops have been causing problems with bee populations for some time now and not just in the US. It would seem some of the measures we have taken are starting to work as the bee populations have stopped dropping.

Then there is the ozone layer that reduces the UV reaching the surface of the earth. Obviously John has never heard about the problems we have with refrigerants depleting the ozone layer. Again, the global actions to reduce the use of these compounds seems to be making an impact.

I won't go into his mistaken use of the term "triple point".

In a lot of ways he sounds like Trump. Tosses words out without actually saying much and what he does say is not very accurate.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Yes. Most people are strongly motivated by fear, and they seek out things to be afraid of. It's like kids growing up in a super-clean environment, so their immune system invents allergies.

Given lots of unjustified fear, other people will come along to exploit that resource for fun and profit and power.

People who are fear-driven aren't good electronic designers.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yeah, it's almost like they needed contraception or Planned Parenthood or something!

It's true though, Massachusetts is pretty opposed to fun. Everything closes early, and even earlier on weeknights, and don't even think about taking a beer out on the street unless you want to get booked for public intoxication.

Most bars and nightclub employees are fairly rude, act like you're such a pain in the ass for even showing up to their cool nightclub. "Try going to Providence if you want your degenerate 'fun', prole trash!"

Reply to
bitrex

It was also illegal to buy alcohol on Sundays or get a tattoo in MA until 2004 or something.

Meanwhile prostitution was legal in Rhode Island up until the same timeframe, simply because nobody noticed that it wasn't made explicitly illegal in the state's laws. Or cared.

Reply to
bitrex

In New Orleans, some bars never close. It's illegal to carry a glass or bottle on the street, but drinks in plastic cups or cans are fine.

SF has lots of original genuine dive bars, bars that smell like bars. They aren't picky.

We did go into our neighborhood dive bar last week, the Glen Park Station, after pizza. I asked the barmaid if she had any good rum, like 10Cane or Ron Zacapa. "This ain't that sort of joint, honey."

They don't have food, but they don't mind if you bring something in and eat at the bar. The pizza place down the block delivers.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den torsdag den 16. marts 2017 kl. 22.57.49 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

here much simpler, do what ever you want as long as you are not causing trouble

must be more posh around here, even the most sketchy of bars will have something like Ron Zacapa

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

:

lobal

ll

tant your life and plans appear to you, mother nature does not give a shyte .

n she dropped an irrelevant asteroid on their little red wagon. Anthropogen ic global warming isn't quite as much of a bolt from the blue as the killer asteroid was, but denying anthropogenic global warming is about as effecti ve a reaction to it as anything the dinosaurs could come up with.

Then there was a mantle plume eruption or two that nearly wiped out the hum an race. They estimate this one knocked down the population of h*mo sapien to a few thousand individuals worldwide

catastrophe_theory

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

A dive bar in my neck of the woods is a place where a pint only costs an average of $10, and a mixed drink around $17. :-(

Reply to
bitrex

More importantly, it's the ONLY generous planet. Don't abuse it.

Reply to
whit3rd