Future Generations Need Not Worry About Climate Change

:

ort on having the information to do it with.

When you "correct" me you don't provide links to the "correct" information. You resemble krw in posting claims that I'm wrong because my position isn' t one with which you agree, and in failing to provide any evidence that my assertion is incorrect.

Clearly, you don't have access to the kind of information that might "educa te" me.

ligent than I am.

ts.

Anybody who shares Dan's particular set of delusions.

Sadly, the truth isn't what Dan thinks it is.

on IQ tests and real-world cleverness.

and did not do that well in the real world.

I do fine on IQ tests - apparently better than 99.9% of the population, and - unlike Dan - I've got enough sense to know that this doesn't mean all th at much. I've done well enough in the real world that I have achievements I can point to - my name on a couple of patents and a few published papers, and my wife and I live as comfortably as Dan seems to.

od enough to be helpful.

Dan snipped the rest of the post, which wasn't all that intellectually dema nding, but still outside his comfort zone, and failed to mark the snip.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Krw doesn't bother reading anything past the first point with which he disagrees. His ignorance is incorrigible, because he can't imagine that he's wrong.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

e:

e does say anything explicit he will be shown up as totally ignorant, so he has decided that being unspecific lets him get away with being patronising when he doesn't actually have anything to offer.

Reality does need some sprucing up. The sooner Trump gets locked away in an institution for the criminally insane the better.

Trump's not mad. He is superbly adapted to getting what he wants out of soc iety. Sadly, society can't afford to keep on giving him what he wants by ta king him seriously.

I did. I also learned that the "facts" on offer from right-wing web-sites t end to be incomplete and misleading, which is a lesson that James Arthur ha s yet to learn.

Dan rarely provides links to informative web-sites. James Arthur provides l inks to web-sites that claim to be informative, but peddle James Arthur's p referred brand of misinformation. James Arthur's enthusiasm for Bastiat is diagnostic - the guy was a reactionary who died in 1850, but James Arthur t hinks he posts timeless wisdom. He's right to the extent that Bastiat's out put is as timeless as it is wise.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Ignorance certainly doesn't stop Slowman from being a know-it-all.

Reply to
krw

e:

a single

er-based

lthcare to

ething, in a

s to their

it!

ked some

gets nails

out monthly,

ou*. And

ply to

l,

courts

l fee.

99%

o the

e,

on

es

rict,

ove

fe.

documents per loaf with tracking info and photos, plus monthly exams

ties

This usually reflects imperfect understanding. Bins that go outside have to have lids to keep scavangers out. Bins inside a restaurant may need to be open so that its easy to put stuff in them and you can keep and eye on the level of rubbish inside them.

So you keep the lids separate, and put them on when the bin goes outside to emptied by the county. Around here, the bin design is standardised, and th e garbage trucks automatically open the bin after it has been hooked up to the bin-emptying rig on the truck. The bin design allows the lids to fold d own against the back of the bin if you want them open.

Krw doesn't believe in trade unions - few American right-wingers do. The re st of the world got past that stage about a century ago.

Germany exports about as much as the US - despite having only a quarter of the population - with a constitution that puts trade union representatives on the advisory boards of all but the smallest companies.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
bill.sloman

Not true. Bill knows all, *most especially* every detail about others' countries' intricate workings.

We natives are the fools for imagining otherwise. ;-)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Perfectly sensible Vogon logic.

Yup.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

James Arthur resents the fact that my understanding of the way the US works - none too well - doesn't line up with his own, which sees it as working almost perfectly, and infinitely better than Germany and Scandinavia.

We prefers to blame this difference of opinion on my imperfect knowledge rather than his imperfect comprehension.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

*
.

They can be. There's been a movement around for some years to re-write them in forms that are more comprehensible and accessible. One of my friends is doing this job on the University of Melbourne's regulations, though I don' t think he is going to put the "plain English" seal of approval on his outp ut.

James Arthur won't know anything about this, because his interest in langua ge is to use it to make his opinions look good, rather than to make it clea r what he is actually advocating.

.

But probably not what's actually going on. One has to suspect that the rest aurateur is confusing regulations that apply to bins outside his restaurant with ones that apply to bins within his restaurant.

James Arthur and krw both dislike trade unions. They are reactionaries, liv ing in a reactionary country. The US found trade unions actively frightenin g for a lot longer than the rest of the advanced industrial world, and US r ight-wingers are remarkably reluctant to understand the value of the job th ey do even now.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

That doesn't explain why reality took out a restraining order, against Sloman.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Do you have any evidence for "_more_ highly represented"?

It is important, at least over here, to draw the distinction between politicians and the civil service. Here the civil service jealously guards its independence from transitory politicians and, to a large degree, succeeds. Politicians traditionally have a love-hate relationship with that!

We always find it strange that when your politicians enter office, the first thing they do is install cronies at the top of all government institutions. That would never happen here to the same extent.

Yes. And so can /removal/ of regulations. Some important regulations favour /small/ businesses.

The current extremely important case in the US is whether comms companies are required carry traffic equally. Unsurprisingly they are /repeatedly/ lobbying to be able to charge differentially for some traffic, which would have the effect of making it difficult for startups to challenge incumbent companies.

Indeed. But that's not the key question. The key question is whether the situation would be better or worse without oversight. The historical lesson is clear: /on balance/ oversight improves things.

But in all walks of life there are people that falsely believe "if I follow the /process/ then the result is guaranteed to be good".

Conflating regulations with police states is silly, and lacks balance and perspective.

The issue of degree is key; we are in violent agreement there.

Following processes and regulations /blindly/ and to the letter is often suboptimum. (Aside: so is interpreting historical texts)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

te:

does say anything explicit he will be shown up as totally ignorant, so he h as decided that being unspecific lets him get away with being patronising w hen he doesn't actually have anything to offer.

Nor the capacity - Dan doesn't know enough. One of the things he doesn't kn ow is how little he knows.

James Arthur's take on reality is that it isn't right-wing enough, but he d oes like to see it in ways that suit the right-wing mind-set, and doesn't t ake kindly to having his favourite misconceptions ridiculed.

From what Mike has posted about the state of his body, reality has taken ou t a rather more stringent restraining order on him than any that might be s een as applying to me. I gave up playing field hockey at 69, but I'm tolera bly mobile for a 74-year-old.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Sloman? You mean *Bill* Sloman?? Does he still post here? Well I'll be! ;->

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Krw considers me ignorant because I don't share his opinions. If I knew as little as krw does, I might conceivably share his opinions, but I am better informed. I'm actually sufficiently well-informed that I sometimes find ou t that my opinions have not been well-founded, so I have to change them.

Krw is much too ignorant to be able imagine anything like that happening to him.

Cursitor Doom probably is damned. It's an unfortunate side-effect of readin g the Express, and believing what you read - it doesn't take much scepticis m to save your soul, but Cursitor Doom is unfortunately credulous.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to