Daily electronics funny

Someone found this little synthesizer in the dumpster out back a Google office. Looks like an employee was trying to "wall mount" it and the plan was apparently to drill two holes in the back with a big f*ck-off drill. It was going good until they smacked right into the PCB underneath and ground up a bunch of components on the board with the drill bit.

Live and learn I guess...

Reply to
bitrex

Coders.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Do not coders use double sided Scotch tape? I do :-) You would not believe what it holds, last time when I wanted to remove something thing it pulled of the paint.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

The thing weighs about 6 pounds, you could hang it with those 3M sticky-tape things for hanging pictures!

Reply to
bitrex

I like how it looks like they started to drill right thru the battery compartment then thought "hmm, maybe not a good idea."

Reply to
bitrex

It should have been put in the eWaste recycling bin, not the trash dumpster. Yeah, it fits. Google doesn't care much about eWaste: "Amazon, Microsoft and Google get low grades on recycling policy from Greenpeace"

I'm trying to figure out how they managed to drill that shape of a hole. It's the right shape for about a 3/8" drill bit where the plastic "grabbed" the drill bit, and ramming it into the underlying PCB. Just one problem, the spiral hole shape is in the wrong direction on both holes. In order to do that, it would need to be a left hand drill bit, or perhaps someone reversed the image before posting. Yet another mystery.

I don't think it "smacked". Drilling into plastic, without a pilot hole, results in the plastic "grabbing" the drill bit and pushing it into the PCB. This video shows what probably happened: "How to and not to drill through acrylic plastic tutorial"

Incidentally, instead of a drill bit, I prefer to use a Rotabroach cutter, which doesn't grab on thin plastic or sheet metal:

Thanks for the entertainment value.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Easily fixed! Just need a bit of solder, a little bit of wire, and some SMRs.

I've seen (and fixed) worse.

Currently sitting beside me is an 'Elevator' control panel that a TV show set-dec person wants me to make fake-operational. Slight problem is that it is simply a sheet of aluminum with some fake touch buttons glued on...the floor 'display' is a piece of red plastic glued to the front of the aluminum panel...at least the previous elevator control panel and display they handed me last year was a real one so I could easily wire up the switches and display to respond as the director wanted.

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

Probably not, if they could make such a glaring mistake.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Stupidity can be a capital crime, worth a Darwim Award.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

My guess. It was broken anyway and mounted on the wall of a co-workers space to piss him off in retaliation for his boasting about his musical prowess.

Or one of many such scenarios.

Clive's razor - 'Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by having a laugh.'

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur