This is funny

Quotes from an article at;

$1-200-a-day%27-fishermen-make-most-of-gulf-oil-disaster/?action=printpageBP pays me $1200 a day: Fishermen make most of Gulf oil disasterBy Sharon ChurcherLast updated at 6:01 PM on 6th June 2010The large amounts of beer being consumed made it clear, however, that theLounge's patrons still had some source of income.Questioned more closely, one boat captain, Dodd 'Milk' Champagne, blurted:'Those of us with bigger boats are still shrimping because we can go furtherout to sea, beyond the closed area.' His vessel, Milky Way, was due todepart the next morning for a ten-day expedition.The vessel will cover more miles, devouring extra fuel, so he is entitled tocollect compensation from BP on a monthly basis, and he has just receivedhis first cheque, for $5,000.His three deckhands also have each submitted claims - for $2,500 each - tocompensate for 'lost earnings'. < note, they are stillshrimping>A BP source says the company is paying them between $1,200 and $3,000 a day,in addition to which they are reimbursed for their meals and fuel.After another beer, however, one of the captains at the Lounge mordantlyconfided to me that his business lost nearly $40,000 last year. What they've done is a tragedy. But it was bad before the spill. I was luckyif I made $1,000 a month. After the mortgage on my house and other bills, wehad maybe $120 a month left to buy food. We lived on chicken wings. Wecouldn't afford to eat our own shrimp. Now BP pays me $1,200 a day.' Some workers ruefully admitted to me that they may have exaggerated.A high school student said: 'I've asked for $2,500 but I really only workfor my dad.'And a boat owner said: 'I only shrimp part-time. Last year I netted $22,000.My main job is working tugs. I put in for $5,000 for me a month and $2,500for my wife because she is my deckhand.' < $7,500 x

12 = $90,000 for afamily the earned $22,000 Hmm>'I got sick after I picked up a piece of driftwood with oil on it,' shesaid. 'BP gave me $1,000 last month for lost wages but I'm behind in myrent. I've no cash. I'm not sure I will ever be able to work again. I justget weak, weak, weak.' < I'll bet she had no cashbefore she picked up that driftwood>Another young worker at the diner cackled with laughter when I asked herabout the plague of illness which suddenly seems to be affecting so many onGrand Isle.She says she attributes it to the 'beer money' being handed out by BP. 'Asix-pack before breakfast will make you feel real weak,' she said. groan! Mike
Reply to
amdx