Crimpers

I just got a bunch of Molex crimp contacts, PN 50212-8100. These are for a relatively small 2mm-pitch housing. The Molex web site is very confused about what crimper I need for this -- I either need a $200 (or maybe $500) hand crimper, or a $1000 bench-top crimper, maybe.

I have a generic $30 crimper that I bought at Fry's or Rat-Shack. Its only identifying mark is "TAIWAN". I was able to modify it by thinning out its jaws, and with care I can make pretty good crimps -- but its way too slow for production, and I wouldn't trust it in anyone's hands but my own and some really good technicians I know.

So, where does one get crimpers for this sort of thing? Am I stuck with whatever I can get from Molex? Are there other solutions out there, waiting to be found? It seems that production-quality hand crimpers go for at least $200, so I'm willing (grudgingly) to shell out that much. Are there third party vendors of this sort of thing?

Finally, where do I find a knowledgeable, honest sales guy who can sell me something that works right?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

I would buy the Molex tools. Crimping is a process which has tight tolerances. A bad crimping tool may result in wiring errors in the field. Make sure the tool has a ratchet mechanism which enforces the proper crimping force.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I would buy the Molex tools if I felt that I could trust their web site to point me at the right one.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

I'd look around at various tool vendors; just say you're looking for a crimper for molex pin #blahblahblah.

And if you're talking serious production, the benchtop can be worth it because it's like 100x faster than hand-crimping.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

For serious production we'll farm it out to a cable company -- this is just so we can do quality prototypes and correct for production glitches.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Of course there may not be only one that does the job!

Reply to
SP

I've done Molex pins and others with about a $6.00 crimper, but it does take a bit of finesse to get a good crimp; as you said, the person doing the crimping has to know WTF he's doing.

And for a prototype it might be worth it - you can ensure a reliable crimp by crimping carefully, then give the pin a strong tug - if it stays attached, you're OK for the life of a prototype. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Theres a outlet in Florida, that has quality crimpers at reasonable prices. But I have forgotten the name. Try this one...

Interesting find...

Martin Riddle

We use the Molex universal hand crimper (non-ratcheting) for small production work, on the small MiniFit Jr. pins and the bigger old-style ones. Molex part number is 638111000, at Mouser for $49 each. I recently found

a big stocking Molex distributor that we are switching to for all the terminals on reels that we get, and they have this tool for $30. Check their pricing no matter what tool you settle on.

-- Regards, Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat verizon dott net (remove nospm or make the obvious changes before replying)

Reply to
Carl Ijames

(or

thinning

way

but

with

go

much.

sell

Molex info for this terminal is here

The recommended Molex hand crimper is part no. 0638111200 (Americas)

Action Electronics might be able to help

Ross Herbert

A website is the result of a work from some marketing-website-people and has little to do with the technology and products to be sold. Why not give them a call or send them an email ?

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

Well, those Molex links didn't work out as expected. Best to go to

and type 502128100 into the search box and the tooling will be on the right hand side.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

I'm going to be getting in touch with my local Molex rep -- I was checking here to see if there are alternatives to a companies own crimpers.

And while many websites have little to do with what's being sold, a _good_ web site will give you in-depth knowledge so you don't have to pester a sales engineer with stupid questions -- or so that you're not at the mercy of a dippy sales engineer.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Mouser has them in stock for 196.00.

I'm assuming you got the tool number right...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I did not find any link to a production grade tool. My guess is that is the producion grade tool is the most expensive. Please note that the jaws have finite life and need to be monitored with the "go no-go" tool.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

In that case i recommend the mid price device. It will produce quality crimps without bending the price too much.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller