Cheap digital scope

Just been looking at Uni-T colour digital storage scope 100MHZ for around $800. never heard of Uni-T - I assume its Chinese. Anyone know anything about it/them?

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Neato...A disposable scope :P

...but haven't heard of Uni-T.

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

This looks like their website:

Bob

--
== NOTE: I automatically delete all Google Group posts due to uncontrolled
SPAM ==

This is the kind of stuff where the "big two" might initially laugh and scoff. A few years down the road that might turn into "Oh dang!". Remember when the first VW Beetles showed up and the top managers from the big three had a major ROFL episode? None of them laughs anymore.

--
Regards, Joerg  (who bought an Instek scope)

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

With all due respect to the Chinese, the VW Beetle was a German engineering effort. These scopes are (most likely) just cheap copies.

HP and Tek will lose some business, but they can innovate and come out with useful *new* stuff. The Chinese haven't shown that ability, yet.

Bob

--
== NOTE: I automatically delete all Google Group posts due to uncontrolled
SPAM ==
Reply to
BobW

So true. A lot of our electronic gear is out of China these days. The quality is generally going upward, not downward.

They don't have much of a rep - yet. You are much safer going for a similarly priced Rigol unit (cheaper in fact in this case). They are proven performers and decent quality, which is why Agilent rebadge them.

Or perhaps one of the newer 1000 series Rigols if your bandwidth requirements can be lowered.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Just realised the Uni-T has 1M of sample memory. That's huge compared to the 4K in the 5000 series Rigol. Might be worth the extra money and risk if that's important to you.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Don't know anything about their scopes but I bought a Uni UT60 dvm from Marlin Jones

a few years ago and I'm happy with it. Haven't needed any service but they offer pc software to datalog with this unit and their (Uni's, not mpja) website had a busted link for the download that they fixed within a day of my sending an email pointing it out. YMMV, of course, but I got my money's worth :-).

-- Regards, Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat verizon dott net (remove nospm or make the obvious changes before replying)

Reply to
Carl Ijames

Maybe, but these scopes appear to have all the features I need for the foreseeable future. Only question is reliability.

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

That Instek GDS-2204 here on the bench runs circles around similar Tek scopes. Not just because it has ten times their storage depth. Engineered in Taiwan. I bought it not because it was cheaper but because it was better.

Remember when engineers said that flat panel displays will always be a domain of the western world? Go to CostCo and take a look around ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, and complacency or arrogance will not change that. IMHO those two traits have just about ruined our big three in automotive. Now everybody buys Toyota Priuses.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I don't think the 5000 series from Rigol is a good buy. Deep memory is what you want in a DSO.

--
Programmeren in Almere?
E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

Can someone tell Tektronix?

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Very interesting about the Instek. How good is the triggering?

I'm on the market for a new digital scope and one of my major complaints about my old Tektronix one is that the triggering capabilities just plain suck!

Reply to
Larry Coyle

I agree. The 5000 series is an older model, almost discontinued. But at least they have a good rep and their scopes work well, but the newer models with deeper memory are more expensive than the OP's Uni-T price point. Uni-T brand, hmm, no one has posted a review yet that I am aware of. I'd be surprised if there weren't at least a few firmware bugs.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

In which case, how easy to upgrade the firmware?

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

No idea. Perhaps send Uni-T an email enquiry and ask what their policy is about releasing firmware upgrades. No response = warning. Might be mentioned in the manual, worth a good read before making your decision.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

There is a $79 shipping charge in the U.S. for the UNI-T digital storage scope.

Howard

Reply to
hrh1818